New Strat Strings

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Billy Gibbons also uses 8's, but he has a very light touch, for me it's like a bull in a China shop and just as messy

Yep I tried 8's and they were so easy to bend that I practically bent EVERY note. I probably would have gotten used to them, but I switched back to plane old Ernie Ball Slinkys (10's) and that's pretty much what I use all the time (I did get a deal on some Elixir PolyWebs, so I have several sets of them, but I really don't think they are any better than the EBs.)

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Go to a different guitar store, the guy at the first didn't know what he was doing, and get a set of 9's AND a set of 10's as has been suggested. Put one on and do a full setup. Let it sink in play and see if you like. If you do go no further. If you don't put on the other set and do another setup. Try again. I bet you'll like one. Me? I'd start with the 10's. If you really don't know much about doing a setup and don't trust learning online take to a store and tell them what you are trying to do and see if they would do it and if you don't like the first do it again with the other set for a discount or for no charge, if you are new to them they might do it to get your business.