Woohooo found a Fender blues jr111

ronico

rainyislandblues
Glad for ya Marc! Had one for a few years now. Great little amp. I put a Cannibus Rex in a couple of years ago and a cutout jack so I could run to a 2x12 cab. Usually though just use as acombo as it's so easy as a light grab and go amp for me. Congrats!! That's a fair price I'd say, north of 49!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
A better speaker helps a lot.

Also there are some inexpensive simple mods that really improve it a lot. I was skeptical, but recorded one before and after, and it was very noticeable.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
Glad for ya Marc! Had one for a few years now. Great little amp. I put a Cannibus Rex in a couple of years ago and a cutout jack so I could run to a 2x12 cab. Usually though just use as acombo as it's so easy as a light grab and go amp for me. Congrats!! That's a fair price I'd say, north of 49!

I have the special edition in blond that came equipped with a Cannibus Rex, nice combination. Popular swap out from the stock.

ronico

rainyislandblues
A better speaker helps a lot.

Also there are some inexpensive simple mods that really improve it a lot. I was skeptical, but recorded one before and after, and it was very noticeable.
Do tell Capn! Sharesies? Haven't looked at the amp but looked in tube drawer and there's a 12Ay7 that 's been in and out of there a couple of times, in V1 as I recall, but damned if I can remember the diff. Too many shiny objects....@ stinger22 Did they toss in any other goodies, with what I'm guessing is a special issue?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I did some mods for one a buddy had it was a Brian Wampler mod he offered years ago, my Buddy said it was like I took the blanket off the amp, his was an early version, don't recall which

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I'm not a fan of using tubes other than what an amp was designed for. People claim they add headroom by using lower gain tubes, but it's the same as turning the volume down. A lot of mythology about amps and tubes, etc.

There is a sticky thread above in the gear section all about Blues Jr Mods. hasn't had any new posts in a year, but there is some good stuff.

Blues Jr's were all the rage when I started BGU. Mostly because Griff had a video of himself playing one. Then it was the Mustang, and now it is the amp sim stuff and using a PA for the amp.

It's all good.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
There is a sticky thread above in the gear section all about Blues Jr Mods. hasn't had any new posts in a year, but there is some good stuff.
It's all good.

The only mods I did to mine were replacing the plastic input jack with a metal one (the original quickly started wobbling and cutting out) and replacing the speaker with a Legend GB128. Great amp! Only reason I don't still have it is I got the Nace, and my BIL turned 60 and retired and I was looking for a cool b-day gift so that and his first fully-electric guitar were the result.

Stinger22

Blues Junior
This is what mine looks like I think. I can't tell the color of the sides compared to mine which I believe is "Emerald Surf". Believe it's the Sparkle Mod it also has. Fender serial number search says BLUES JNR III CAR 120V

upload_2019-10-16_13-31-46.png

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I'm not a fan of using tubes other than what an amp was designed for.

How do you know what tubes an amp was designed for? What the engineer/designer had in mind and what arrived in stores could vary. Even Fender uses different pre-amp tubes in different amps with the same circuit design.

For gain stages, the 12a_7 tubes are all pretty much interchangeable. There are places where specific tube selection matters more, mainly phase inverters and reverb drivers. These spots, especially the reverb driver, need to be able to push more current. The higher gain 12ax7 tubes have less current capabilities than the lower gain versions like a 12at7 and are not the best fit for these positions, but Fender and other manufacturers have done this at times anyway, probably to save money. It is cheaper to use all the same pre-amp tube in a reissue than to use several different, less popular tubes so they did and for the most part it works, just not ideally and certainly not what the original designer had in mind.