messing with the Kid

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Stevie wanted to play this at the last jam, I tried but could not get the rhythm quickly.

So, I promised I would work on it for the next get together, as he has helped mentor me through some learing

problem is, I cannot for this one song , find an decent tutorials on it

Born in Chicago, a million, before you accuse me, a million

Anyone seen anything good for messing with the kid ?

Elwood

Blues
It's just a regular one, four, five, only this one has a signature 'head" that is right out of box 1 (or 3, or...). The little groove like "messing w/ my baby" (edit, I meant to say "checkin on my baby") or a bunch others can be played with as many or few notes as you can get out (bouncing between the 1,5,7 tones). Don't let it intimidate ya, it's fun! :Beer:The difference between Wells/Guy and the other cover lays out plenty of open ground between them.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Great song, but I wouldn't pick it for BGU Live.
You have to remember that the trios are usually put together with a Singer/Strong guitar or not, a strong player and a noobie.
We all want the noobie to have a great time too and if you pick a song that is WAY over their head it will not be fun for them.
Stretching is good particularly if you plan months ahead, but if you pick your songs after you get there, as my trio did in NY did, you may want to try to keep it simple. Something I, IV, V without fancy rhythm figures and maybe not that fast. That way everyone can have a great time.
You might be able to play that one if ONE guitar plays the signature riff, one plays chicks and the other does the chord "Stormy slides".

All of that said, if all three agree that they want to try the song, what have you got to lose?

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Great song, but I wouldn't pick it for BGU Live.
You have to remember that the trios are usually put together with a Singer/Strong guitar or not, a strong player and a noobie.
We all want the noobie to have a great time too and if you pick a song that is WAY over their head it will not be fun for them.
Stretching is good particularly if you plan months ahead, but if you pick your songs after you get there, as my trio did in NY did, you may want to try to keep it simple. Something I, IV, V without fancy rhythm figures and maybe not that fast. That way everyone can have a great time.
You might be able to play that one if ONE guitar plays the signature riff, one plays chicks and the other does the chord "Stormy slides".

All of that said, if all three agree that they want to try the song, what have you got to lose?
I think a noobie could play some chick-a-chicka to that with the 1,4 and 5

ervjohns

Blues Junior
guitarinstructor.com has officially licensed TABs for hundreds of songs, based on the Hal Leonard books and more. They have the original version of this in C, the main riff is similar to the mango of crosscut saw that Griff recently talked about and the turnaround is a walkdown pattern from the C on the first string. No guitar solo on this one, just a harmonica solo, otherwise it is a standard 12 bar I IV V.

You can buy TABs per song, but they offer a subscription option which I have. They also have some really good video lessons on songs like EC’s version of Torn Down, Roadhouse Blues (Doors), and many more. Sometimes you just want to learn a real song, and for that this site is a great resource.

good luck, this is a fun song, I first heard it when the Fabulous Thunderbirds did back in the day. That’s a great version too.