T.A.S. vs G.A.S.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
It's easy to see the result of your GAS when you see the gear sitting around.
Not so easy to spot the effects of Training material Acquisition Syndrome.

I'm trying to organize my space and started stacking up all the DVDs and books I have.
I got to thinking, Hmm,.... that's just the hard material, what about all the subscriptions and digital downloads I have.
Yikes!..........I think I've got more training material then gear:eek:
Strange when I know so many content providers by their first names.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I stopped buying training material when I realized they were all very redundant. How many dvd's and books do I need to tell me that I need to practice? :LOL:

I am torn both ways on that. I had multiple courses on learning the boxes, fretboard mastery and every other learn it course.

I took a chance and got @Griff Penatonic and scale mastery

The wya the exercises are structured, I not only nailed the 5 boxes in two weeks, but I am now able to string skip better, and connect the boxes up and down, or even pick a string and go back and forth on the fretboard, now I use my old stuff just for practice change up.

Sometimes, it just takes that slightly different perspective, for something to click

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Count me in amongst to crowd with absolutely tons of courses / lessons... most of which I have never completed!!!

I have often said, I would likely be better off if I had only 1 course, as I would have not become distracted by all the others and have actually finished a course.

Still all in all I have learned a bunch even if so few have been completed...

Sign me... waiting for the next course to come out!!! ;-)

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
It's easy to avoid when most of it is digital, but I've got a "real" addiction! I think I've got over 300 Truefire titles and several BGU titles (which honestly get more use), and acquiring more as the Golden Tickets continue to pop up with the All Access Pass.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Aside from guitar learning, I've gone pretty deep into recording/mixing.

As @sdbrit68 said:
"Sometimes, it just takes that slightly different perspective, for something to click"

I absolutely agree, sometimes the same thing presented in a different way just sinks in.
We all have unique ways we learn.

Hey!.........that's it, I'll invent a training course on how to learn how you learn.
I'll made million$.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I just spent the last 2 1/2 hours checking. I have two of everything else but I don't have one like that! Sign me up. :thumbup:
I'm sure the teachers and professors in the group know this kinda stuff.
If you look at this chart, I suspect you'll see certain learning modes that you can relate to.

24-Figure1.1-1.png

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Aside from guitar learning, I've gone pretty deep into recording/mixing.

As @sdbrit68 said:
"Sometimes, it just takes that slightly different perspective, for something to click"

I absolutely agree, sometimes the same thing presented in a different way just sinks in.
We all have unique ways we learn.

Hey!.........that's it, I'll invent a training course on how to learn how you learn.
I'll made million$.

Sorry, I beat you to it already! I've created instructional videos on adult learning theory, but I'm still waiting for the $millions to come rolling in. (n)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Here's a test on learning modalities:
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml

My results:
  • Auditory: 45%
  • Visual: 40%
  • Tactile: 15%
You are an Auditory learner! Check out the information below, or view all of the learning styles.

Auditory
If you are an auditory learner, you learn by hearing and listening. You understand and remember things you have heard. You store information by the way it sounds, and you have an easier time understanding spoken instructions than written ones. You often learn by reading out loud because you have to hear it or speak it in order to know it.

As an auditory learner, you probably hum or talk to yourself or others if you become bored. People may think you are not paying attention, even though you may be hearing and understanding everything being said.

Here are some things that auditory learners like you can do to learn better.

• Sit where you can hear.
  • Have your hearing checked on a regular basis.
  • Use flashcards to learn new words; read them out loud.
  • Read stories, assignments, or directions out loud.
  • Record yourself spelling words and then listen to the recording.
  • Have test questions read to you out loud.
  • Study new material by reading it out loud.
Remember that you need to hear things, not just see things, in order to learn well.

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Your Scores:

• Auditory: 35%
  • Visual: 30%
  • Tactile: 35%
You are an Auditory/Tactile learner! Check out the information below, or view all of the learning styles.

That result surprised me since my undergrad degree is in art and art history I expected a higher visual score but it is the lowest. I wonder if it isn't hard for me to finish guitar courses and books that I start because my learning style is a bit a each?

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I'm sure the teachers and professors in the group know this kinda stuff.
If you look at this chart, I suspect you'll see certain learning modes that you can relate to.

24-Figure1.1-1.png
Where is the box for wake up in the morning an instant genius with no effort at all option.....oh down at the crossroads:whistle:

cheers

Al.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Your Scores:

• Auditory: 45%
  • Visual: 15%
  • Tactile: 40%
You are an Auditory learner! Check out the information below, or view all of the learning styles.

Though on more than half the questions I wanted to tick 2 boxes so I could well do the test again next week with a completely different result.

cheers

Al.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Your Scores:

• Auditory: 35%
  • Visual: 30%
  • Tactile: 35%
You are an Auditory/Tactile learner! Check out the information below, or view all of the learning styles.

That result surprised me since my undergrad degree is in art and art history I expected a higher visual score but it is the lowest. I wonder if it isn't hard for me to finish guitar courses and books that I start because my learning style is a bit a each?
Well damn!
Looks to me like you're well rounded learner.
I thought I was more visual.