Fender Stratocaster

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Hi David,
I’ve been reading everyone’s comments and everyone has their opinion. None of them are wrong so I thought I would throw my opinion into the mix. My first electric guitar was a MIM Strat. I loved it, it played beautifully and was everything I always wanted except for one thing. It had a humbucker in the bridge position (an HSS). I hated the way the bridge pick-up sounded. So I sold it and got a MIA Deluxe strat with 3 single coils. I do love the guitar (it’s still my go to electric) but to be honest, it is no better feeling in my hands or sounding than my MIM strat was. Yes, it has a single coil in the bridge position but what I found out is that I never use it. I love the neck or neck/middle pick-up position that I just never go to the bridge pick-up. I wish I would have known that before I sold it as I never would have moved forward with the sale and bought the American strat. I love the guitar but if I ever buy another strat, it will be a MIM again. The extra cost isn’t worth it for someone like me who only plays in my home office/music room.
If you have your heart set on an American strat, I say go for it, they are awesome guitars. If you don’t, I say buy a brand new MIM strat with the exact configuration that you want. You will have an awesome guitar that will please you for a lifetime!!!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
David,
Just one more thought....

I think you mentioned small hands and maybe an injury as I recall.
If that's true, here's something to consider:

Strats have a 25.5 inch scale length, which puts more strain on your hands.
Smaller scale length guitars (24 - 24.5 inch) have a much softer feel and are better suited for smaller hands.
I've notice this personally when my arthritis act up, I put down the strat and go to a shorter scale length.

If your sold on Fender check out the Jaguars.
PRS have shorter scale length as well but, you won't find one in your price range.

It's worth doing some homework.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
David,
Just one more thought....

I think you mentioned small hands and maybe an injury as I recall.
If that's true, here's something to consider:

Strats have a 25.5 inch scale length, which puts more strain on your hands.
Smaller scale length guitars (24 - 24.5 inch) have a much softer feel and are better suited for smaller hands.
I've notice this personally when my arthritis act up, I put down the strat and go to a shorter scale length.

If your sold on Fender check out the Jaguars.
PRS have shorter scale length as well but, you won't find one in your price range.

It's worth doing some homework.
PRS SE models would fit his range

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
check out the Jaguars.
I bought a Squire Jag....and it plays good and workmanship is really good (indonesia) but for the life of me I can't get along with the ceramic pickups (Duncans) and I don't think RR would attempt swap um out--- very surfer sounding. It takes a little time to figure out the switches and wheels---I finally had to you tube it to figure it out. And the tremelo is the touchiest tremelo I have ever ran across. But it is defnitlly one cool guitar-and I still play it once in awhile.