Fender Stratocaster

Danno

Blues Newbie
One other thing, if you can suppress your GAS for a few more weeks, you could probably get a pretty decent deal on something during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Holiday sales.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I assume it’s a USA made Strat. That’s high for MIM.

Depending on how bad the frets are, they may be able to just dress them. We got a Epi from Sweetwater that had grooves in the frets. The strings would catch when doing bends. But Sweetwater fixed it just by dressing the frets and it was fine. They may bargain with that, but a whole refret is a lot more. But it may not need that.

If you are on a budget, look for a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. They come in a 50’s or a 60’s version.

I won’t say it is as good as my USA Steat, but after new pickups and controls and shielding, and a Mann Made (PRS) tremolo, they are 95% of what the USA is, but at 1/4 the cost, even with the additional parts.

I also have a MIM, but it has a Mighty Mite neck.

But I have to admit thee is something about having a real USA Srat. If it grabs you, then it’s worth it. If not, then find one that does, that you just can’t put down because it sounds a feels so dang good when you play it. That’s the ne you want.

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
There are a lot of good MiM models, new and used. A new MiM Strat ought to be around the $750 range or less, Teles under $700.
I am shying away from the MIM for USA. In your opinion, am I on the wrong page? I'm kinda get what you pay for guy.

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
I assume it’s a USA made Strat. That’s high for MIM.

Depending on how bad the frets are, they may be able to just dress them. We got a Epi from Sweetwater that had grooves in the frets. The strings would catch when doing bends. But Sweetwater fixed it just by dressing the frets and it was fine. They may bargain with that, but a whole refret is a lot more. But it may not need that.

If you are on a budget, look for a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. They come in a 50’s or a 60’s version.

I won’t say it is as good as my USA Steat, but after new pickups and controls and shielding, and a Mann Made (PRS) tremolo, they are 95% of what the USA is, but at 1/4 the cost, even with the additional parts.

I also have a MIM, but it has a Mighty Mite neck.

But I have to admit thee is something about having a real USA Srat. If it grabs you, then it’s worth it. If not, then find one that does, that you just can’t put down because it sounds a feels so dang good when you play it. That’s the ne you want.

Trust me, I am no Clapton. I have a music background and started the guitar about six months ago. I can get around the fretboard ok as I build dexterity and can run through scales reasonably fast. I have played a Squire and was not impressed at all. It did not have a quality feel in my hands.

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Thanks to all for participating in my dilemma (such as it is). I am a believer that it is hard enough to deal with our own limitaitons in playing. Don't introduce limitations in the instrument as well. Buy the best you can afford and sometimes you can go higher by shopping used. My daughter is an accomplished French Horn artist and stayed with the same horn for years because it was "her axe". I bought her a new (used) horn as she was advised hers was holding her back and she rocketed right into first chair in the orchestra. BTW these things appreciate in value))

Elwood

Blues
It's your wallet bro. Others will say also the MIM is not OK, it is better in some ways. I have two teles hanging here. One is my new MIM thinline deluxe, the other my American elite. I bought the Elite first by 9 months. I love it. It is too heavy for the time I want to spend on it. I bought the thin.
My elite had fret sprout, a void in the finish at the top of the body, a few things that should not be there. (a stew mac file, some tweaking and it play like a dream with that compound radius neck).
My Thinline has no blems at all. Fret ends are OK. There are some hardware differences between them. The MIM uses cheaper lookin saddles, and the control knobs are not the heavy sharp knurled knobs I prefer, they are good enough. It does have the same locking tuners, it wear the vintage noiseless pickups rather than the N4, they sound great. The only "problem" I will correct at my first string change is to run a ground to my bridge. It is either missing or poorly connected. The guitar is noisy if I don't put my hands on it (just wait till I do right?) This was easy to confirm with a simple test and takes less time to fix than to explain.
I have two MIM and one American. The Fender Mexico plant is kicking out some nice MIMs. Guitars are coming from every corner of this globe (take that to geometry), I like Mexico.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I am shying away from the MIM for USA. In your opinion, am I on the wrong page? I'm kinda get what you pay for guy.

I can understand the desire to get the best quality for your buck; that being said, the MiM models have a reputation for being quite good and a great value. I won't say you're on the wrong page, it's your sense of what you want that matters, just I'd personally not overlook that category of guitar without giving them a chance.

Says the guy with the Memphis Gibson. :confused::Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist

I have a Fender Deluxe Strat that's MIM and it's one of the best guitars I have!

The fit and finish is flawless and It has a Maple neck and an Ash body that resonates so well that it's the only solid body I have that I can play unplugged and actually hear the notes. It has a synthetic bone nut, noiseless pickups (they really are), a two-point trem, 12-inch radius fretboard locking tuners and a mini switch that kicks in the bridge pup in the 4 & 5 position.

The sound is everything from bright and punchy to smooth and jazzy and it only cost me $799.00 brand new.
I'd put this Strat up against any other Strat and it would probably blow away many of them.

For my money, MIM Fenders are one of the best bargains out there!

Here she is (her name is Sapphire ;)):

sapphire1a.jpg

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
USA is the best, no argument.

My comments about Squier are only for the Classic Vibe series. Some are awful, some are bad, some are OK. The CV are great!

If you can swing it, USA is great.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
If you won't be happy with anything but an American made Fender, go for it. I have an American Deluxe Strat and a Deluxe Players Strat (MIM with American parts). The MIM Strat is pretty much the equal of the American Deluxe for half the price. You can find excellent MIM Strats and Teles used. The Classic Vibe Asian Strats and Teles are very good also, especially with an electronics upgrade.
If necessary (possible) spend a couple of extra $$ on gas and get somewhere that you can try more guitars. Fender isn't the only company that makes great Strats.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
with all due respect, what I am hearing is, I bought a used guitar, that is not pristine or the way I want it and I am going to ask the store to make it the way I want ?

In all honesty, I buy a ton of used guitars, they are cheaper because they are used. If I was running that store, why would I pay the labor to switch out the pick up for you, with margins the way they are, I will sell it in the next 30 days the way it is.

Same with the frets, its used.....................not trying to come across rude, but as others have hinted at, if you love the guitar, put the money into it, hell, I $450 into a $499 epiphone les paul to get exactly what I wanted, but it wont leave my possession for anything, so I aint judging

If the issues are going to bother you, and you don't want to put the money into it, then take it back right away, its a Fender, I am betting 3 minutes of search and I will find tons of them, another will come along sometime

If youa are near your limit, check out zzounds, they have awesome no interest financing and get new

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I personally think the Squier Classic Vibes are on average a better guitar than the MIM. The Alnico pickups were certainly better than the ceramic MIMs a few years ago. I don’t know about the new “Player Series” MIM pickups.

You are definitely much better off buying a $400 guitar and getting a pro to dress the frets (if needed) and do a full setup vs getting a $700 guitar that has fret issues and pickups you don’t want. The guitar will play better and cost less.

If nothing but MIA will do, for what it will cost to replace the frets, bridge pickup and pickguard including labor (sounds like you are not the DIY type) you are in range of a much nicer used MIA and really not all that far from a new professional series MIA. The guitar you have now is only a good deal for the DIY amateur luthier who can replace the frets and the pickups on their own. Neither are very hard, but you need to have some tools plus a willingness to do the work.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
t the G, B, and E strings at frets 1,2 and 3 are worn to a groove but all frets up to 5 need attention
If that is all it requires---5 frets---it won't cost you that much. $125 at the VERY MAX (probably less)--as for the humbucker in the neck position----I can't live without it-JMOP.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Count my vote as "keep looking." Not that I really have a vote. Like one of the others said, "It's your wallet, bro" not mine. My thought is, if your budget is about $1k, and that's what used MIA Strats are getting, wait around a bit for what you want rather than spending $700 + another $300 to get it there. I'm with Mark in saying that, unless you have a good relationship with the store so that they'll throw you a bone, they're probably not going to fix the issues on a used axe. They probably did all the work they wanted to do on that one before they put a price tag on it and hung it on the wall.

I, also, wouldn't completely count out the MIM Strats. Yes, I think the MIAs are nicer instruments, but the MIM ones are some killer machines. I've got 5 Strats ranging from a MIM Standard Strat up to an American Design Experience (now called the Mod Shop). The nicest one is easily the ADE Strat. I built it to be what I wanted...somewhere between the American Standard and the American Deluxe. The MIM Strats are pretty nice though. I've got a MIM 50s Classic Series that's no slouch. But the one that I play the most? It's my MIA Hwy1. Entry level American made Strat. It just feels and sounds right. Did I mention that it's bottom of the line MIA? So, don't let the fact that it costs more bias you that it's a better instrument. It probably is (you get what you pay for most of the time), but it may not be.

Two more opinionated comments, and I'll leave you alone. First, if you do buy it, check it good. Strats are modular enough that parts are very easily swapped out. If they were swapping out pups in it, just be sure that they didn't stick a MIA neck on a MII body and pass it off as a MIA. Not saying the store did that, but who knows what the original owner may've done to it before they got rid of it. Also, in my not so humble opinion, Strats are SSS. If you have yourself one that is SSH, then I'm sure it's a fine guitar with an S-type body, but it ain't really a Strat.

Disclaimer: Everything above is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. So YMMV...in fact, it probably does. If you get the guitar, enjoy the heck out of it. If you don't, don't fret it because you'll find one soon enough.