No Wormoth Today!!!

Elwood

Blues
Lot's of Wormoth pride, and justly so! Great replys to my inquiry. I started serious pricing, and surfing. My build project budget was not well constrained by imagination so I looked at the obvious alternative. I also consulted with a local store manager who suggested a good deal on a MIM thinline would solve my problem.

The problem has been an increasingly painful case of tele neck. Real bad. So bad I looked at Wormoth chambered bodies and such. Anyway, fate smiled upon me...

upload_2019-9-28_15-48-32.png

This came in UPS today. From Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse Wi. $595 on my doorstep! BRAND NEW!!!
I am amazed. this was sold (as I understood) as used. It has all the hang tags, poly protectectors, and, Dave's strung a new set of D'addario 10s on it. Neck looks great! Not a mark on it anywhere!

And it is light, it neck dives a bit!!! Love it!!! Sounds fine (too early for serious eval), Dave's did a set up, I'll check the intonation and drop the ht a bit later, it could work tonight easy if it had to.

I had a real hard time buying this online...holy guacamole!, glad I did.

No Wormoth today!

first impression; this is a snarly little thing. My elite sounds real sweet, this one has a little something different.

just realized I didn't even say what it is...a 2016 tele deluxe thinline (MIM), vintage noiseless pickups, locking tuners, fit and finish as good or better than my American elite.

Last edited:

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I live in La Crosse. Dave's Guitar is indeed a very cool shop. That's a nice guifiddle you found! Enjoy!

Elwood

Blues
Brent, you can tell 'em there is one happy camper out there! I do not understand how I ended up with this thing for this price but I am...flummoxed! I keep waiting to find the hook in the worm but...no worm.

Dave's appears to have actually breathed on my guitar. Intonation was passable, strings a bit high but they were the new daddario's I specified (just like I set 'em for a friend, no fret noise is good, you can work from there) but radiused correctly. P/U were a bit low. Neck runout is so slight I hunted for problem areas on the fingerboard, nope.
So I did the simple setup, dropped the strings a bit, tweaked the intonation, raised the pickups a bit and ran my daily drills on it.
This will not replace my elite, they are too different. This guy still sounds much brighter, more "woody" (yeah I know, that's bs right? That's what I thought too) and more snarly if you dig in. The neck feels wide to me (at this time) but is thin and plays well. The narrow tall frets are different too. I'm used to the wide jumbos or whatever they are on my elite now. These feel like maybe they require less pressure for sounding notes but maybe more work for bending? These are first impressions, maybe wrong there.

The only way I could get myself to buy this online is logic and rationalization. There is enough value in the parts to launch my build project if this turned out to be a total POS. If I got an OK body with a spaghetti neck I could get my MIM back from loan to a friend and use the fine neck on that one to get my new thinline running.I also have a great launch if I still want to go short scale with a Wormoth neck! As it is I seem to have won the lottery.

Now to play and let my neck get a rest. This guy feel way better!

Thanks for the feedback guys, wanted to brag about my new baby. (too many this year!!!)

I swear guys, I'm sitting here playing and looking back and forth to my American elite and my MIM Thin Deluxe...the finish is smoother, more even, and no flaws..get ready...on the MIM. Maybe I got the best one out there but this is real. I see some difference in hardware, the elite has nicer saddles, maybe higher grade parts elsewhere. I no longer view MIM as anything less than a Fender, period.

Last edited: