New To Blues Guitar Unleashed

KerryKlein

Blues Newbie
Actually, I'm fairly new to guitar period. I've been working on (and off) learning how to play this thing for about 30 plus years. Needless to say, I get to a certain point and get stuck, lose interest and move on to something else. But I always find my way back to picking up the guitar. I'm not getting any younger, so I've decided to reach out to people that can help, hence the BGU course. So my first question to you all, is where do I start? I've signed into my courses, but don't know what I'm supposed to work on first. Any suggestions?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome!
Hmm? Where to start?
I've got several courses from Griff and others and that question never came up for me.
It's been some time since I started a new course but, as I recall, the material is laid out in a logical fashion to move you along in your learning experience.

Hope you get the answer your looking for.
Have fun learning:)

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy. I agree BBG is a good place to start. The first couple lessons you find are pretty easy but it gets interesting as you move on. Join in here frequently lots of great folks with good information.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Welcome Kerry! You should really enjoy it here. How many courses did you get?...and which ones?
I’ve done a few of them and always just went through them in order (page-by-page).
No matter which courses you’re working on, I think a couple of things you can do are: 1) learn to record yourself and the lessons. At some point you’ll want feedback. Learning guitar “online” almost requires that you learn to record and share your playing online. I find it really fun and motivational.
2) incorporate an “exercise/technique/scales” routine into your warm-up before practicing. I have used the pentatonic/blues scale for warm-up and to learn the “boxes” (a MUST).
Another tip Griff gives us is to break practice time into smaller chunks, 20 or 30 minutes, vs. 3 hours all at once. This helps avoid injury and burnout!
Good luck and enjoy!

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Kerry, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:) Like others have stated, I would start at the beginning, Beginning Blues Guitar. Enjoy the process and just don’t quit. We all get frustrated from time to time but if you stick with it, you will be playing guitar better than you ever could have imagined. And don’t be a stranger to this forum. There are tons of great men and women on here with lots of experience that love to help. Never be afraid to ask questions.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I'd look at the link Jalapeno posted. It gives you a self-analysis tool and then walks you through which courses fit where.

Welcome!!!

Walt H

cloudbase - Aint got time for gravity
How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.

I started playing in january of this year. I joined guitar tricks and completed their guitar 1, 2, and blues 1 courses. I discovered Griff in may. I am nearing completion of AGBU. I simply went through every lesson as he describes. I did not finish the texas blues chapter. I believe i didnt have the skill set at the time to complete the task. I can not say enough good things about the course. If you follow his instructions you will become a guitarist - plain and simple. It does take time, dedication, focus, and a commitment to excellence. But it aint rocket science.

Just remember 1 bite at a time. And sometimes that bite is going to be very small

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Welcome Kerry, I think the guys have probably filled your cup to overflowing so I have nothing to add, but enjoy the journey

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Kerry. Good to have you with us! :thumbup:

Where to start? Griff's course, Beginning Blues Guitar.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.
This is a great resource for keeping you motivated over those difficult humps.
Where to start?
If you bought the All Access Pass, then start with Beginning Blues Guitar.
If you bought Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0, then start on lesson one and go right through the course. You don't have to nail the lessons before moving on, but you should get it to 80% then start the next lesson, while keeping at the earlier lesson until you DO have it down pat.
Don't expect this to be something you finish in weeks, or months. BGU Took me well over a year (while doing some of Griff's other courses on the side).

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Welcome Kerry. If I can add anything it's don't ignore the simple straightforward lessons. Griff emphases these as it's were you work on the basic skills which make later lessons easier. He's a very clever teacher.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Hi Kerry. All the guys here will point you in the right direction. Stay active on the forum about your experiences and you’ll probably hear from Griff.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
Hello Kerry. Welcome. Keep posting if you don’t find your way to start. The guys here know the courses and can help you as you progress.