Electric Guitars Changing an HSS Strat to SSS

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
Hi all,

Probably stupid question, but can you change an HSS Strat to all single coils? I'd think this would be fairly easy, whereas the opposite would not be (install an HB). I'd probably do this with a pre-wired if I did it. Any issues likely with that? Would you need to block up the hole with anything?

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
No issues, just get a new pickguard with the correct hole pattern.

A lot of Strat bodies are routed for HSS or have a big “swimming pool” route so you can easily change pickups in either direction.

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
The thing is: I already have an HSS Strat. I acquired another one in a trade, so I'd like one that's more "traditional." I played one recently with Vintage Noiseless pickups and like those a lot.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
so I'd like one that's more "traditional."

I totally agree. While I get the whole point behind HSS, superstrats, hardtails and other such, I want a Strat to be a Strat. If I want a humbucker, fixed trem etc, I have a Les Paul or a Tele for that. Thats the way it needs to be in my world anyway. ;)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Jim...I'd go for it...most pickguards should fit...just a question of whether or not you want/have to redrill some holes...should be able to get something to drop right in...loaded is a good idea...less to mess with..

agree with Terry about wanting a Strat to be a Strat, especially in the 2 & 4 positions...scale length and pickup positioning will make a difference...not good or bad, just different...

as far as the pickups go, you've got tons of options...lots of very good pickups being made...and at varying prices...and that's another huge "rabbit hole"...you'll just need to define what "traditional" means to you...I've got two strats, one with Van Zandts and the other with Lindy Fralin...they both work fine for me...hint: check the used market...lots of good buys out there and you won't take a beating if you need to sell them...

one thing you will want to do it experiment with the pickup height...it can make a huge difference...best of luck in your hunt...later.

cowboy