Electric Guitars Les Paul for blues ?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
And yet I don't look at Teles.

And I'm the opposite. I have more Telecasters than anything other type of guitar (I've actually owned more strats, but given two away). Yet, when I walk into a music store, the Telecasters are the first thing I look at. There is always a little voice in the back of my head that says, "How many more of these do you need?" Fortunately, there's another little voice that says, "I don't know. I'll tell you when I find out."

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
And I'm the opposite. I have more Telecasters than anything other type of guitar (I've actually owned more strats, but given two away). Yet, when I walk into a music store, the Telecasters are the first thing I look at. There is always a little voice in the back of my head that says, "How many more of these do you need?" Fortunately, there's another little voice that says, "I don't know. I'll tell you when I find out."

I traded in my modded MiM Tele on the Acoustasonic, on the rationale that I was replacing it with another Tele. Doesn't feel like the same thing, though, and I keep catching myself shopping proper Teles.

Rad

Blues Newbie
GAS, I of course have it, who doesn’t. I came up with a rule I’m pretty good at sticking with, “one guitar in, one guitar out”. I have never felt the need to have multiple of the same basic guitar. One Tele, one strat, one thinlie, one hollow body, etc, works pretty good for me.

Of course, there are times when that rule becomes more like that famous movie line, “it’s really more of a guide line”. :D

Slofinger

Blues Junior
And I don't know why either. I probably have just about as bad of case of GAS as anybody on the planet. I spend why too much type shopping when I should be practicing. I am right now deciding between a couple different PRS guitars and, of course, using all the canned rationalization cliches. "This one is going to give me a lot of versatility.", etc.

And yet I don't look at Teles. In all the lists by gurus about the different "classes" of guitars one needs, the different "food groups" if you will, the Tele is right there along with the obligatory Strat, LP, 335, acoustic, etc. And blues icons that I respect like Robben Ford and Joanne Shaw Taylor call their Tele their #1. And one of the guys I jam with every Wednesday calls his Tele his favorite and keeps telling me to get one. And he keeps offering me to take his and play it for a week between jams.

And yet.......I can't develop any GAS for a Tele. Would someone please tell me why this is?
It is funny about Telecasters and people’s aversion to them. I love the looks of a butterscotch blonde with black pick guard. So much so that I made one. Then every time I picked it up and played it, I was reminded that I just don’t like the sound of a Telecaster. I actually ended up giving to the guy that is sort of funding my guitar building hobby.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
GAS, I of course have it, who doesn’t. I came up with a rule I’m pretty good at sticking with, “one guitar in, one guitar out”. I have never felt the need to have multiple of the same basic guitar. One Tele, one strat, one thinlie, one hollow body, etc, works pretty good for me.

Of course, there are times when that rule becomes more like that famous movie line, “it’s really more of a guide line”. :D

I am truly sorry to hear about this. Have you sought psychiatric help?
cheesy.gif

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.

:D
I am truly sorry to hear about this. Have you sought psychiatric help?
cheesy.gif

Don't coddle him or, perhaps more importantly, encourage him! He is just seeking attention. Ignore him!:rolleyes:

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
It is suddenly Les Paul for blues time for me. Broke a string on the main Strat practicing the lick 6 bends before recording a video last night. Then I broke a string on the backup Strat practicing lick 6.

Lessons learned:

1) Two of each type of guitar is not enough.
2) Skip lick 6, or at least the first two measures.
3) According to some people on the Internet, you can buy new strings separately and don’t have to buy an entire new guitar. (I am not convinced of this one yet, and will probably hedge my bets by getting two replacement guitars along with replacement strings)

AND

Luckily I have a Les Paul and Tele to play in the meantime!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It is suddenly Les Paul for blues time for me. Broke a string on the main Strat practicing the lick 6 bends before recording a video last night. Then I broke a string on the backup Strat practicing lick 6.

Lessons learned:

1) Two of each type of guitar is not enough.
2) Skip lick 6, or at least the first two measures.
3) According to some people on the Internet, you can buy new strings separately and don’t have to buy an entire new guitar. (I am not convinced of this one yet, and will probably hedge my bets by getting two replacement guitars along with replacement strings)

AND

Luckily I have a Les Paul and Tele to play in the meantime!

I agree whole heartedly with #1.
I carry extra strings because out here in the middle of nowhere, you just can't find a music store that's open at 2am. I learned breaking into a music store in the middle of the night is a felony... That's one of many reasons @slolunas is such a good friend.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I learned breaking into a music store in the middle of the night is a felony...
Isn't that only if you take something. Surely it should be OK to stay on the premises and practice if you leave the guitar behind when you leave. Or even better pay for it when the lazy staff actually turn up and take your money. Don't these guys want to make a sale:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
For my money, you can't go wrong with Epi's.

My Epi LP Custom is my #1 guitar and probably always will be. Fit and finish is perfect, action is nice and low and it's a dream to play.

Naturally, like many Epi's, the pickups were a bit thin, but after swapping them for some SD 59's, she sounds awesome.

And that's the beauty of Epi's - their price point makes them a tinkerer's dream as opposed to taking a screwdriver and soldering iron to a pricey Gibson, so you can set them up any way you like.

Also, the newer Epi's are far more electronically sophisticated than in the past making the tinkering more of choice than a true necessity.

Yes, I am an Epiphone fan and proud of it! :Beer: