Ken Burns Country Music Documentary

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I know this is a BLUES group. But there is the whole blues begat country and country begat rock, etc. Certainly, blues and country are related. And I am not a country fan. Let's be honest. I am the least country fan in the continental United States. But Ken Burns and Vince Gill were on some morning talk show a couple days ago and they made a case for this documentary being interesting.

But this is airing, I think, this Sunday the 15th, on PBS. This September, Ken Burns tells the story of Country Music.

It is, if I'm correct 16 hours long, so a huge time commitment to watch the entire series.

From the PBS website:

"Explore the history of a uniquely American art form: country music. From its deep and tangled roots in ballads, blues and hymns performed in small settings, to its worldwide popularity, learn how country music evolved over the course of the 20th century, as it eventually emerged to become America’s music. Country Music features never-before-seen footage and photographs, plus interviews with more than 80 country music artists. The eight-part 16-hour series is directed and produced by Ken Burns; written and produced by Dayton Duncan; and produced by Julie Dunfey. "

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Thx for the heads up Matonanjin. Sounds great. I'll be looking for it. I usually discover
these great docs about the 3rd week into the series.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
Our local PBS station had a free event last Monday where they showed excerpts of the upcoming Ken Burns show followed by a live performance by a "country" band called Milkweed. This band apparently has two incarnations, one an acoustic set-up with stand up bass, sweet harmonies, etc and another electric set-up where you can taste the country but it's like you're rolling through those hills in a blues/rock fueled Cadillac. Great band, lots of fun but I got the feeling that some of the people there were a bit put off. They did done song at the end with the more traditional grouping which was also great.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Sunday through Wed this week, 2hrs/episode (and re-aired immediately following).

Same schedule next week.

I'll be watching all 16 hours and probably purchase the DVD set.

How could I not?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Good info there---missed it last night----Vince Gill---1st big hit (I think??? was -"Amy" when he was with "Pure Pararie League). Made a ton of them after that after he went stone cold country.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I watched episode 1 on Sunday, 2, 3 and 4 today. They are all on Comcast On Demand. Loved the music and interesting stories.