Killer Deal on a Shure SM58 Microphone

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
From his other listings he seems to sell a lot of US Military surplus, so those probably were originally purchased by the US Military for thousands of dollars!

Yeah, that makes sense (especially the thousands of dollars part). Heh.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but many years ago for my first entrepreneurial adventure I subscribed to a service that specialized in clearing out surplus, overstocks, and the like. It was before the Internet was a household thing, so we'd get info overnight via fax. Each morning I'd pull the faxes, look for stuff that seemed sale-able in my area, and place orders accordingly. Shipments of mics like these would have been exactly the sort of thing on the list.

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
I'm chagrined and disappointed to report that, based on the linked information above, the one I received is almost certainly a fake. Live and learn! :oops:
So. Do we return it? Are you hearing anything wrong with it sonically?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So. Do we return it? Are you hearing anything wrong with it sonically?

I haven't tested it thoroughly enough, for the basic PA test I did to date it sounded reasonably good. My little home studio isn't the best testbed.

I'm torn as to what to do next. The terms were buyer pays return shipping. For as cheap as it was, the hassle of trying to pack it back up and get UPS to come get it seems more than it's worth. I'm tempted to just toss it into a box in the basement and absorb the lesson.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The fakes are not necessarily bad mic’s. If it sounds OK and is reliable, use it.

Just did an A/B against the legit one I own, both through my Bose Compact L1 PA. The fake is louder and has more bass than the real one. Can't say it sounds "good" until I've tested it more, maybe do some *gasp* recording with it. I won't trash it, at least. It might be useful as a backup, but I already have an a-t mic that's middling good that was supposed to be replaced by the new 58.

We'll see. No rash actions on my part until I've had time to think about things. :Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I'm torn as to what to do next. The terms were buyer pays return shipping. For as cheap as it was, the hassle of trying to pack it back up and get UPS to come get it seems more than it's worth. I'm tempted to just toss it into a box in the basement and absorb the lesson.

I know what you mean. Seems like sending good money after bad.

I'm very sorry to have roped you guys in with me on this. :( I've seen fakes in other musical equipment, but nothing to the level of this. Other than the label on the capsule, most of the differences are too small to notice. They even have the yellow/green wiring and matte finish. Not having a real one, there's no way I'd know otherwise. I'll probably just give it to Goodwill and tell them it's a fake so they don't resell it as real.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Sounds fine to me. Though of course I don't know what the sound in the room was so can't say if it is a representitive sound. But as a guitar tone it was fine.

How do you like that angry driver? It is one I have on my radar, though not until next year as I have no gas money left for this year.

cheers

Al.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
If they're advertised as Shure brand but you can show they're fake, you should be able to get a refund at no cost to you.

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
Sounds fine to me. Though of course I don't know what the sound in the room was so can't say if it is a representitive sound. But as a guitar tone it was fine.

How do you like that angry driver? It is one I have on my radar, though not until next year as I have no gas money left for this year.

cheers

Al.
I like the angry driver because you get two different pedals in one that can be sequenced or used individually. I tend to keep it on the BD setting using Griffs settings to boost the amp at low volumes. I only have two pedals so I’m no expert in this field. I received it as one of my Christmas gifts one year.