Electric Guitars Twelve String Twaddle

straightblues

Blues Junior
I have an older Dano 12 string. It is a nice instrument. I go through phases when it gets a lot of play and then sits for a long time. It is perfect for what it is. I wouldn't want to have a lot of money wrapped up in a 12 string. I think the Dano is a very decent 12 string, it plays well and sounds good. If I were to play it daily, I would probably spend more. But since I don't, it is perfect.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
That is because we want you to save all of your hard earned money. Being a newbie at the NY jam, you are required to pay the bar tabs for all of the veterans. And, trust me these boys and girls are adamant about staying hydrated. Just sayin'...

Steve
Good point. That bar tab last year was over $1,200 and that was just Friday night. And there's twice as many people this year.

So yeah Spinny, Steve's right buying a new guitar or equipment, doesn't look like it's in your near future

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So yeah Spinny, Steve's right buying a new guitar or equipment, doesn't look like it's in your near future

Heh. Never tell me I can't do something.

I might've kinda sorta did a thing.... :oops:

750-59X12BK_front.jpg

The guys over at That Pedal Show sealed my fate when they (and a guest) pitted one of these against a couple of Ricks and it held its own. It's not the all-lipstick version I linked before: this one has a P-90 plus a splittable lipstick humbucker, for only US$30 more. I was messing around with my Ibanez acoustic 12 and, well, the Dano killed it. So there it is. 36 months no interest thanks to a special they're running, and it arrives next Thursday. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
In retrospect, methinks the beginning of the end for me was a few weeks ago when one of my open mic friends had a gig for his birthday; yeah, for his. The brew pub wanted to do something for his 76th (he's a crusty, cantankerous and fun Viet Nam vet) and he said he'd like to perform for it.

He got me up on stage at one point while he took a break, but even more fun than that was when he dragged out his Dean Boca electric 12 string for a couple of songs. I thought that was beyond cool, and that event was a big reason the Dean was on my radar when this crazy idea started taking hold. He's going to be pleased at the GAS he inspired, even if I chose a different mount than his. :Beer:

ronico

rainyislandblues
Think I'm gonna pull my old 12 string noname acoustic out of the back of the closet. Got it used for $75 about thirty years ago. Has a bit of a dip in the top that messes with the intonation above the 7th fret but other than that it sounds great and it's an easy player. Cheap GAS!!!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Initial impressions (have to knock it off and prep for open mic):

It’s gorgeous. I love everything about the looks; I thought the slanted neck pickup would bother me but I’m good with it.

I like the feel. Not too heavy, and the headstock is nicely balanced. Feels great to play, action is low and clean and it’s way easier to play than my acoustic 12. Came stock with D’Addario 10s. Still a real adventure to bend or vibrato but not impossible.

Was nearly in tune out of the box. Amazing, especially for a 12. Only needed one pass to tune up; the neck seems sturdy enough not to get yanked around tuning and need multiple passes like my acoustic.

I have a lot of work to do figuring how to EQ it. Through the Nace set up for my 339 it sounded muddy. Through the Bose L1 PA it was more articulate but boomy bass. I’m still very much a n00b at dialing in amps so I expect I need to up my game before I can get it sounding as sweet as it did in the demo vids.

Glad I got it, looking forward to learning its wily ways, mindful my near term focus needs to be on practicing for BGU NE. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Quick update: today I took some play time and connected my Bias Mini modeling amp to the Bose L1 PA system using the XLR line out so I could also use the cab sims. Fired up the Fender Twin Reverb model with the default 2x12 cab sim, and hooked up the Dano 12 tuned to open G. Much, much better tone. Chime and sparkle to burn, none of the muddiness I was getting with the Nace. I had to tweak the bass EQ down some to quell the boominess; cleaned up really nicely.

I'll be revisiting that setup sooner than later. :Beer: