Pedals/Effects Buzzzz.....

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have a Keeley modded Blues Driver (BD2) that has an annoying buzz even when the pedal is off.
Any thought on what I can do about it?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
What's your power source, that's the most likely problem.
Cheap power supplies are often the cause of noise.
Try it with a battery to determine if it's the power source.

If you use multiple pedals, use a power supply with isolation.
Daisy chains can also add noise.

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have one power adapter that will cause a buzz in most of my pedals. You may want to try rulng that out along with the cables.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
What's your power source, that's the most likely problem.
Cheap power supplies are often the cause of noise.
Try it with a battery to determine if it's the power source.

If you use multiple pedals, use a power supply with isolation.
Daisy chains can also add noise.
I use a OneSpot, but as Griff recommended, I run the OneSpot into a GigRig Isolator which should clear up the problem. Plus I only get the buzz when the BD2 is in the chain. two Tube Screamers... No problem.
I also seem to remember trying it with a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power with the same Buzzing result.

I was thinking a ground problem in the pedal, but how do I determine if that is the issue?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I use a OneSpot, but as Griff recommended, I run the OneSpot into a GigRig Isolator which should clear up the problem. Plus I only get the buzz when the BD2 is in the chain. two Tube Screamers... No problem.
I also seem to remember trying it with a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power with the same Buzzing result.

I was thinking a ground problem in the pedal, but how do I determine if that is the issue?

I think that's a question for some of the smarter folks here.
Did you try it with a 9v battery?

In the mean time this might be helpful:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/troubleshooting-guide-for-guitar-pedals/

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I have a One Spot and it's generally very quiet. Distortion pedals are inherently "buzzy" especially when they are turned up.

That said, my first question would be, "was everything ok before the BD2?" If so, then I would look hard at the pedal.
If everything was fine with the pedal before, then I would think: "cables".

Whenever I get a noise that wasn't there before, I wiggle all of the connections starting with the guitar cable and then working through the pedal board and then the amp.
Most of the time a buzz that wasn't there before stems from a dirty connection somewhere. A little wiggle here and there breaks up whatever dust that may have collected and created a small short or otherwise compromised the connection, causing the buzz.

Lastly, if none of the above corrects the problem, I start exchanging cables with known good ones and making sure that any suspect cable connectors don't have any stray wires touching each other and that all ferrules are tight

That usually solves 99% of buzz issues.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I have said it before, and will say it again. You don't need any stinking pedals. Play clean, from the heart and you are golden...

Steve

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

Once you've ruled out cables and connectors, open the pedal and tap around on the solder joints anything makes noise needs to be retouched with a solder iron, I use the tip on an exact-o blade so as not short anything, or if you're okay with shipping both ways send it to me

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I'm not sure if this is correct, but it is supposed to be a BD-2. The part at the bottom that is circled is a power supply. It provides 4V and 8V. If the thing is broken, it might be loading down your power supply, and an overloaded power supply might buzz?

It could also be a grounding shielding issue.

Does it more of less work, but with the buzz, or is all you get buzz?
8lopdhx81id01.png

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It more or less works, just lots of Buzz when not playing. (Buzz exists with the pedal on or off.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
It more or less works, just lots of Buzz when not playing. (Buzz exists with the pedal on or off.
That GigRig Isolator looks like a good clean power source but, did you try the Blue Driver with a 9v battery?
That will tell you for certain if it has anything to do with power supply or if it's the pedal.

If it's the pedal, I'd contact Keeley.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm still testing a few things and one thing I've found is that it only happens when there is an Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of it (Even if the TS is off) I've tried a Mini, a TS5 and a TS9. If I use any of my other OD pedals (I've tried a Boss SD1 a Nobels ODR-1 and a Visual Sounds Double Trouble) the noise goes away.
So I guess I'm confused about where the problem really is. I get the same result with the BD2 on Battery or OneSpot.
I may just be allergic to Ibanez and have to rethink my OD strategy.