50 Years Ago . . .

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Dave, I can’t imagine what you are going through reliving what must have been like pure helll. I hope in the telling you unload your painful memory just a bit. Thank you for sharing your story

Erv

jmin

Student Of The Blues
"Looking back 50 years later, possibly the strangest moment of the three-day Woodstock festival was the performance by Sha Na Na."

If it wasn't for SHA NA NA, I probably never would've played in a band. After they became "popular" (novelty act), we did a take-off on them at a High school rally. At the same time, a bunch of west coast college kids formed another "nostalgia act" (competing with Sha Na Na?) and my teacher was asked to join them. We both ended up playing "50's" music - in different bands for about 3 years!
For me, thanks to Sha Na Na, the "70's" were turned into the "50's!"

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
"Looking back 50 years later, possibly the strangest moment of the three-day Woodstock festival was the performance by Sha Na Na."

If it wasn't for SHA NA NA, I probably never would've played in a band. After they became "popular" (novelty act), we did a take-off on them at a High school rally. At the same time, a bunch of west coast college kids formed another "nostalgia act" (competing with Sha Na Na?) and my teacher was asked to join them. We both ended up playing "50's" music - in different bands for about 3 years!
For me, thanks to Sha Na Na, the "70's" were turned into the "50's!"

If anything could rekindle my guitar passion, it would be '50s Rock Guitar Unleashed'. :thumbup:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
well the 50s had the vi. I vi IV V

or if you don't know that notation, C Am F G. Transpose to whatever key.

or sometimes C Am D7 G

jmin

Student Of The Blues
well the 50s had the vi. I vi IV V
or if you don't know that notation, C Am F G. Transpose to whatever key.
or sometimes C Am D7 G

YES!!! Thanks for mentioning that David! It's usually in the back of my mind when I'm talking about 50's being all 1-4-5.
When you add that minor 6, you cover lots of 50's songs chord progressions! I'll never forget a guy who came up to me one night and said: "You're just playing 3 chords!" (I think he was insulted). I just told him he was right. I should have mentioned all the minor 6's I played! (Little Darlin', In the Still of the Night, Duke of Earl*, etc.)

Sorry for the sidetrack...Back to WOODSTOCK! (*song played by Sha Na Na @ Woodstock)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Cool. Their TV show came out about a year before I left home and I remember my folks being avid watchers. I took some of it in but I was a disaffected teen at the time so if my folks liked it...well.