Backing Tracks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I use Karaokeversion.com. the seem a bit less expensive ($3 vs $4), but the multi tracker on audiomidimania didn't work on my machine so I can't really compare the quality of the tracks from each.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
It's always nice to add to your backing tracks!

For those that use Spotify, here is a little trick I just discovered... search Spotify for Jam Track... Backing Track... there seem to be quite a few of them.

Perhaps this would also work on Pandora or other such service!

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Here's another good one.

www.karaoke-version.com
I use Karaokeversion.com. the seem a bit less expensive ($3 vs $4), but the multi tracker on audiomidimania didn't work on my machine so I can't really compare the quality of the tracks from each.

I also use Karaoke. Whenever I buy one of theirs I spend the extra buck (or whatever it is) and get the custom one. I then download it with both the guitar part, to practice playing along with, and then without the guitar, when I am actually ready to play it. Great tracks.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Yep and that's what a lot of them are worth. If I can't customize the individual tracks within the backing track, it's worthless to me.
Just depends on what you are using them for.
sorry just assumed they were for jamming to,,not anything else

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If anyone feels nitpicky, there's a difference between a jam track and a backing track, although we tend to use the terms interchangeably.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
lol no i just dont get the difference :) ,,if i type in backing tack or jam track i get the same sort of thing

I didn't realize there was a difference. It seems that jam tracks are multi track recordings so that individual tracks can be isolated? I think most people use the terms interchangeably.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Seems to be a matter of semantics and intended use by the individual. Certainly the terms are often used interchangeably by most people - not worth arguing about.
However, I have what I call jam tracks that are fine for personal practice purposes, but I would not deem suitable for use as a backing track if I were performing for an audience. To me, that is the distinction.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
In my eyes, backing tracks are specific songs that can be used to practice and develop in playing that song. Or even used to back up a performance.

Jam tracks are more used for improvising over to help develop chops.

Surely a backing track could be used to improvise over as well but has the additional song performance capability.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
sorry just assumed they were for jamming to,,not anything else
Yeah, I guess jamming at home the quality & capability really doesn't matter that much. For a couple of bucks though I'd prefer the versatility. I also like to be able to isolate each instrument. Being able to really hear bass &/or drums clearly sometimes helps.