Stage monitors

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
The band decided we all need our own stage monitor (wedge if you will). I've been checking them out and learned a lot so far. Watts vs. SPL etc. I've seen recommendations that you need a spl rating (sound pressure level) of 125 or more which would put you in the 300-400 watt range. What do you guys/gals in bands use? Any brand recommendations? Thanks in advance. (n):Beer:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
The band decided we all need our own stage monitor
Some questions...
Why? Do you all need to hear different things? What does each member need to hear that the others don't?
What is your current setup (i.e. one monitor? no monitors?)?
Do you have a mixing board with at least one send for each monitor? (in my 4 piece band we all had separate monitors so we had to have a board with 6 sends, one for each monitor and 2 for effects (reverb and delay). A lot of mixing boards have only 2 to 4 sends.
Would in-ear monitors be better? Wedges can get loud if you're not careful and you'll need an amp separate from your PA amp.
Don't forget... More gear to haul and setup. Longer sound check.

I don't make brand recommendations but you can never go wrong with Yamaha. They cost a little but tend to be bullet proof and always sound clear.

Eric

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Some questions...
Why? Do you all need to hear different things? What does each member need to hear that the others don't?
What is your current setup (i.e. one monitor? no monitors?)?
Do you have a mixing board with at least one send for each monitor? (in my 4 piece band we all had separate monitors so we had to have a board with 6 sends, one for each monitor and 2 for effects (reverb and delay). A lot of mixing boards have only 2 to 4 sends.
Would in-ear monitors be better? Wedges can get loud if you're not careful and you'll need an amp separate from your PA amp.
Don't forget... More gear to haul and setup. Longer sound check.

I don't make brand recommendations but you can never go wrong with Yamaha. They cost a little but tend to be bullet proof and always sound clear.

Eric
We have a monster board that will handle everything easily. We didn't get a sound check at the Blues Fest which made everything difficult. I had nothing in my monitor and there were some verbal cues that were missed. Powered speakers will take care of the amp problem.
I guess I'm looking for how big they need to be in terms of watts/spl. What are you guys in bands using?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
We used two 450 watt power amps for the mains and one 200 watt power amp for all four monitors. You just need enough size/power to hear what you can't from the mains (which are normally in front of the band). The monitors shouldn't be heard in the crowd as they are there to make up for stage anomalies for the performer.

straightblues

Blues Junior
How loud is your stage volume? That will be the driver of how loud the monitors need to be. You need to be able to hear them over the loud amps and drums.

I am a keep it simple type guy. A couple of small powered 10-inch JBL speakers are what I use if I use anything. They are light and easy to carry. Plenty loud enough to be heard on stage. We usually just use them so everyone hears the vocals. For clubs, we do not mic our equipment, we just our vocals and maybe the kick drum. In my experience, you don't need a lot from monitors. For bigger festivals, they tend to mic everything and have their own monitors and run everything through them. Whenever we do festivals, I always tell them to just run vocals and kick for the monitor near me.

Like others have said, the monitors are for the band and not really for the audience. I don't think they need to be that high of quality.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
How loud is your stage volume? That will be the driver of how loud the monitors need to be. You need to be able to hear them over the loud amps and drums.

I am a keep it simple type guy. A couple of small powered 10-inch JBL speakers are what I use if I use anything. They are light and easy to carry. Plenty loud enough to be heard on stage. We usually just use them so everyone hears the vocals. For clubs, we do not mic our equipment, we just our vocals and maybe the kick drum. In my experience, you don't need a lot from monitors. For bigger festivals, they tend to mic everything and have their own monitors and run everything through them. Whenever we do festivals, I always tell them to just run vocals and kick for the monitor near me.

Like others have said, the monitors are for the band and not really for the audience. I don't think they need to be that high of quality.
Thanks for the input. We have a gig in September where we have to provide our own sound. Like you said, festivals usually provide the sound.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
yes yes yes I have a recomendation. Guitar center, I have their Harbinger 12 inch 600 watt powered PA speakers, I use them as monitors as they sit as a edge nicely. Best of all, the new models just hit, so the old v2212 are on clearance. I believe the 12's are $129.99 and the 15's $149.99
right now

straightblues

Blues Junior
Thanks for the input. We have a gig in September where we have to provide our own sound. Like you said, festivals usually provide the sound.

I have done that a lot. When I first started doing it, I got stressed. I thought that we had to change up a lot from our normal club volume and mix. What I learned is that you don't have to play that much louder. Remember, you can only be as loud as your drums unless, you want to mic 100% of everything, including 5 or more mics for the drums. In all of my years of gigging, I have never once been asked to be louder.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I've always had great admiration for JBL. When I got my Fender Twin amp (in '73!) the popular "mod" was to replace the Fender speakers with JBL's! Best sounding amp I've ever heard! (...yeah, still!)