Can't get that sound

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I got a George Lynch setting on my mustang 3 and I just love that sound with the delay the Marshall and the overdrive that I have for that. However when I try and duplicate that with my pedals on my pedalboard I just cannot seem to tweek them to sound like my mustang 3 . is it because their analog vs. digital I've been playing with it for a couple days now and just can't get that sound out of my pedals through my monoprice 15 watt amp.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, not to enable, but sounds like you need more pedals specifically thought through to arrive at "that" sound. I don't know from what you said if you are using a Marshall amp type on your Mustang or not. The Monoprice obiously is no Marshall. You might try a HoTone Golden Touch OD or something similar.

Mr.Scary

Yes I'm using the Marshall amp,TS, rack mount delay on the mustang.I have a Golden Brownie or Dirty Shirley for Marshall sound and TS with Zoom Echo Delay or Swindler Effects Magic City delay. Just can't get it to sound smooth like mustang

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Is there anything else on the Mustang patch besides what you mention above? Maybe compression

Mr.Scary

Just reverb That's it.i think the Marshall-y sound is there but just can't get the smoothness and creamier sound I'm hearing from the other effects.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Just reverb That's it.i think the Marshall-y sound is there but just can't get the smoothness and creamier sound I'm hearing from the other effects.
From experience with mine, the Monoprice does not have a ton of clean headroom. While I happen to really like it's overdrive, my assumption is that it will color the effects pedals in a way that is very different than the Marshall modelling of the Mustang.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
From experience with mine, the Monoprice does not have a ton of clean headroom. While I happen to really like it's overdrive, my assumption is that it will color the effects pedals in a way that is very different than the Marshall modelling of the Mustang.
There is much truth to this. Also, no two "Marshall" pedals are identical. You could be in for a long search. And the real solution could be counter-intuitive. For instance, when it comes to SMOOTHNESS, no pedal I have ever found can equal my J Rockett Dude pedal. And it has TONS of headroom. But it isn't a Marshall pedal, it is a "Dumble" pedal (in other words some variation of a Fender Blackface). OK, take that, along with the fact that the character of the LAST OD pedal in your chain will dominate. OK so far? Now suppose you run a good Marshall pedal into a Dude pedal to smooth out the Marshall pedal. Happy hunting!

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Try the ts into one of the marshall pedals. Not to much gain on the marshall pedal. Virtually no gain on the ts but dime the level. Change tone to suit. The amp needs to be set as clean as it will go and set it dull sounding. Dial the treble and some mids out as the pedals will give these and the overall tone will sound harsh if the amp is to bright. Ignore the overall volume set the amp at a level it is clean. When you have finished if you have achived the sound you want but it is to quiet try turning the amp up. If you loose the sound you want then the amp doesn't have enough clean headroom for what you want. I find that with both my little blackstar amps (1w and 5 w) they arn't great pedal platforms as the amp caves in with to much gain in the front end. However love the tone of them as they are. It just means if that isn't the sound I want they wont work.

cheers

Al.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
For a Lynch sound, Jay Parmer (see on YouTube) recommends a Friedman BE-OD pedal. He's got a whole YT video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIyyoArlNMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGr_dad_NmQ

I've been trying to get this tone for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A07zSr-JYFE&t=202s
with no luck. A few weeks ago, my guitar instructor had a very similar sound going on. He said it is his Eric Johnson patch. He gave his simulated signal chain as Compressor, Overdrive, Reverb, Delay, Chorus, and finally EQ. I can't get the sound with real pedals and a tube amp. Both Rick and instructor are using DSPs. Maybe some tones just can't be obtained with the real deal.

Last edited:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I've been trying to get this tone for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A07zSr-JYFE&t=202s
with no luck. A few weeks ago, my guitar instructor had a very similar sound going on. He said it is his Eric Johnson patch. He gave his simulated signal chain as Compressor, Overdrive, Reverb, Delay, Chorus, and finally EQ. I can't get the sound with real pedals and a tube amp. Both Rick and instructor are using DSPs. Maybe some tones just can't be obtained with the real deal.

"Compressor, Overdrive, Reverb, Delay, Chorus" is the same signal chain I like and use quite a bit (the only thing I don't have is the EQ). I can vary my tone from Bluesy to "Hair Band" mainly by controlling the levels and/or presence of the Reverb and Delay but my settings for the Comp, OD and Chorus stay basically the same.

My OD is a Boss DS1 and if I want to create a more intense tone with mega-sustain, I just kick on my BD2 ahead of the DS1 and stack them.

Mr.Scary

"Compressor, Overdrive, Reverb, Delay, Chorus" is the same signal chain I like and use quite a bit (the only thing I don't have is the EQ). I can vary my tone from Bluesy to "Hair Band" mainly by controlling the levels and/or presence of the Reverb and Delay but my settings for the Comp, OD and Chorus stay basically the same.

My OD is a Boss DS1 and if I want to create a more intense tone with mega-sustain, I just kick on my BD2 ahead of the DS1 and stack them.
chorus, delay then reverb is the way my chain is. So you like it better this way. I may have to try it. I also like a wah after OD also

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Correction:

Mine is actually ...Reverb, Chorus, Delay (not Reverb, Delay, Chorus).

Also, I run the last three through the FX loop with the Comp and OD running directly into the preamp.

Cheers! :Beer:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
JPsuff, PapaBear, Mr.Scary can either of you guys get close to the tone Rick Graham has in my link above? If so, would you mind sharing it? It sounds like he's got a lot of sauce going on. But man... too much reverb just doesn't sound right.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Any thoughts on wether using an effects loop or going straight in the front,,makes a huge difference,,the modeling will be using a virtual effects loop

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
Good question. Like JP, I've got the Delay, Reverb, Chorus, and EQ in the loop. Give me a few minutes and I'll put those in a chain going into the front of the amp. If no one posts in between, I'll add findings to this post in an edit.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
I see a few different setups for Lynch tones online, but all of them revolve around high gain amps.

This is something called Lynch Petrucci God Tone. Effects order from left to right.

Attachments

• lynch.GIF
    lynch.GIF
    151.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
HyperGravity -> G2 -> Atlantic (R&D) -> Chorus -> EQ -> Buffer
Haven't played with it but a few minutes but can already tell the tones aren't going to be much different than using the FX Loop.
infront.jpg