Wah pedal

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
For those who have a wah pedal ,do you ever take it and play out with it. Do you ever Practice with it or do you just have one to have it cause you might need it on an occasional Blues song. I'm debating on getting one just because of the above mentioned scenarios.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
For those who have a wah pedal ,do you ever take it and play out with it. Do you ever Practice with it or do you just have one to have it cause you might need it on an occasional Blues song. I'm debating on getting one just because of the above mentioned scenarios.

I actually just recently bought one but I will need to spend a lot more time with my ear-hand-foot coordination before I take it out anywhere. I have been trying to find some relatively simple licks that I can keep learning with before I can satisfy my Voodoo Chile fantasy :unsure:

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Don’t try to come up with an excuse to get one.... just get one !
It’s a fun device, meant to make you happy. :rolleyes:
Oh, I use it every now and then just to make some (different than usual) sounds. I wouldn’t call it practice. It’s easy to use, just press it every time you think “wah” and make the face that goes with it.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I use my little wah an awful lot. it is a mini-wah, a HoTone VOW.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VowPress--hotone-vow-press-volume-wah-pedal
I love this little wah/volume pedal! I also have a Morley Maverick and big ol' clunky Boss. But this little pedal sounds better, is small enough to put in a guitar case, is built like a little tank, andis very useful. You can switch from wah mode to volume mode with your foot without bending over. In volume mode, when running a lot of heavy OD, it acts just like the volume knob on your guitar ... back it off and clean up or press it down for gnarly ... in mid-lick without fumbling for your volume knob.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Play out yes. Blues jam no. Nice effect when used in moderation, in moderation, in moderation, in moderation...

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I currently only use it on two tunes in gig situations; Superstition and one of our original tunes. I sometimes switch it on when our version of Feelin Alright gets a bit jammy.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I've got two. The regular ole Cry Baby and also the Cry Baby From Hell. For years I used the Cry Baby every time I played and so I thought I would upgrade and bought the Cry Baby From Hell with it's adjustable features and also an easy click clean boost. But when I herniated my L4 L5 S1 and for years couldn't practice standing I kinda got out of the habit. They are great pedals. :Beer:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I've got four and always have one on my board...one trick pony but fun to have...and use...without overkill...

Yes, I do take it out and play with it...not a lot but it fun to play around with on rhythm as well a leads...using the Mooer Wahter on a couple of songs this weekend...using my mini pedal board...

that being said, I also have a Fulltone Clyde, modded Vox Crybaby and a Teese RMC3FL...the all work fine...only a question of bells and whistles and $$$...I'd look used and cheap...later.

cowboy

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The other thing you can do with a wah pedal is use it as a foot adjust tone pedal. You don't have to throttle it. You can put it anywhere along the arc for a full time tone adjustment. Next song, change it for that song, or just kick it off, etc.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'd guess I use mine about 5% of the time but, there's nothing else that can replace it.
It's not like reverb or delay that can be alternately used.
If you want/need wah, you gotta have one.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I'd guess I use mine about 5% of the time but, there's nothing else that can replace it.
It's not like reverb or delay that can be alternately used.
If you want/need wah, you gotta have one.
I must admit, I've been having fun with my Deja Vibe........

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Or alternatively, get yourself an autowah. Not quite a much fun as a regular wah, but it also doesn't require the same coordination to get it to sound good.

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Or alternatively, get yourself an autowah. Not quite a much fun as a regular wah, but it also doesn't require the same coordination to get it to sound good.
That is what i use right now but it would be nice to learn how to use a regular pedal and have a little more control over the wah's.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Now that I'm in a band, I practice with what I'll be using at a gig, so yes I practice with a wah and use it on a few tunes. Like others have said, moderation is the key. :Beer:

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
I have one (Cry Baby Classic) which I use on a couple of our rock tunes like "All along the watchtower". A bonus use for a Wah pedal is as a tone shaper as well, set it to the tone you like and play away, really nice function. Here is my current board. The Supreme is brand new and replacing both a Royal Blue OD and hopefully the Soul Food as well. May have to add back in the Katana Boost for Clean boost
IMG_4185.jpg

Last edited:

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
After seeing Tony Iommi in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00flB8ASaQ one had to gotten. It was the Friedman No More Tears. It is difficult to get the hang of and it's not used too much. However, another video was seen yesterday advertising the new Friedman BE-100 Deluxe. The guy used his in a fairly simple way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnoyFBcMt7I

Anyway, as little as it's used in my case, the pedal is still way cool.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
One big reason I love my little HoTone aside from its sound is its size. It fits right inside my little pedal board case on top of the Dunes and Dude pedals.
PLAIN.jpg

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Use a Cry Baby mini on several songs that my band plays. Sometimes kick it on if we go into an extended jam, but like others say, moderation! If you want one you should go for it. They can be gotten fairly cheap, and are a lot of fun!

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
It is no use to ask the kind of “should I buy or not” questions on this forum. The conclusion is always “yes, you need it, so go get some”.

So Mr.Scary it’s the usual conclusion on this forum: Buy a wah pedal or even better, buy a bunch of them.:LOL:

Oh by the way, I have two wah pedals. A Cry baby and the pedal on my FCB1010 connected to my Eleven Rack