John's Little Mary's Lamb

LeftyJohn

West Wiltshire/Exeter, UK
I'm struggling with this one, can't sit with the provided backing track, often rushing it and usually getting the rhythm wrong in the 9th and 10th bars and often letting the & of beat three in the even bars ring out through the rest.

In this recording I think I've managed to mute the rest, the rhythm still needs some work...

https://soundcloud.com/user-144515253/little-marys-lamb-20190713

Suggestions welcome.

Regards, John

LeftyJohn

Thanks Eric, much appreciated.

I started playing properly March 2018. Before that I had a brief stint of trying unsuccessfully to learn as a teenager back in the early 1990's but quickly gave up in frustration as I had no idea where to start and a lot of encouragement to stop!

Regards, John

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I hear you about the false start. Not all encouragement is the same :) You're doing great.

A friend of mine and I went to the guitar store back in 1982 and on a lark bought a couple of Ibanez Blazers thinking we could learn Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" in about 10 minutes. We even split the cost of a book with the music. Little did we know how to tune the guitars or that the book was piano music with chord diagrams. He gave up after, literally, 15 minutes. I always try to finish what I start so I stuck it out for about a week, had someone tune my guitar and listened to the song on the cassette while I tried to play the chord diagrams.

I think I got through it once, maybe twice, strumming down the strings on the beat with my thumb. I declared victory but my fingers and thumb hurt so bad I literally wrapped the guitar in a towel and put it under the bed for 30 years. I still have mine, my friend sold his the day after we bought them. I brought it out again in 2012 after picking up the bass in about 2007 or 2008. This time I bought some DVD courses (including BGU) and I think I now have a handle on it.

Keep up the good work!

Eric

LeftyJohn

Thanks Eric, great to have the support, it's much appreciated.

I have a couple of books I picked up on the false start too, both were guitar, but they took you straight to sheet music and if I'm honest not exactly the kind of tunes that someone who liked Metal/Hair Rock was going to be inspired by. :)

I've still got the original guitar too - complete with floyd rose trem (yuk). Though it quickly got retired this time in favour of a far more playable PRS SE Custom 24 - with no floyd rose! :)

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
I'm struggling with this one, can't sit with the provided backing track, often rushing it and usually getting the rhythm wrong in the 9th and 10th bars and often letting the & of beat three in the even bars ring out through the rest.

In this recording I think I've managed to mute the rest, the rhythm still needs some work...

https://soundcloud.com/user-144515253/little-marys-lamb-20190713

Suggestions welcome.

Regards, John
This is my next challenge! How long did it take to get his far? I think it sounds very good!

First lets make sure I'm interpreting the measures correctly... the first 8 notes are a pickup, and the first measure of the verse is actually the 2nd measure of the recording? Assuming that's correct....

If you try counting through the transition from bar 11 into the pickup starting in bar 12 of your recording, you should have trouble keeping steady time there, you should find that you're rushing into the pick-up a bit. Just pointing out in the spirit of accurate counting. Doubtful this occurs when you're playing along with the backing track, it would be fairly obvious if it did. It's a small thing, but could be the start of a train wreck if you were playing with others.

LeftyJohn

First lets make sure I'm interpreting the measures correctly... the first 8 notes are a pickup, and the first measure of the verse is actually the 2nd measure of the recording? Assuming that's correct....

If you try counting through the transition from bar 11 into the pickup starting in bar 12 of your recording, you should have trouble keeping steady time there, you should find that you're rushing into the pick-up a bit. Just pointing out in the spirit of accurate counting. Doubtful this occurs when you're playing along with the backing track, it would be fairly obvious if it did. It's a small thing, but could be the start of a train wreck if you were playing with others.

The first measure is the first measure of the verse.

Which recording were you commenting on?

I really found it hard to play this to the backing track - the backing track was only in V1 of the course, perhaps there's a reason for that?

Regards, John