Miscellaneous Nut files

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
While I was putting the FauXplorer together in the last couple weeks, I needed to bring the nut action WAY down. I'm planning on changing it out to a Graph-Tech TUSQ-Nut, so I decided to leave the one that came on the neck for now and just deepen the nut slots for proper action. I've been using welding torch cleaners for years to tidy up nut slots. So I got them out and started. I'm not sure what this nut is made of, but the torch files just weren't cutting it (did I really say that?). I went online to see what StewMac had and went into sticker shock over the prices they ask. If I was a pro luthier, I might not mind $175 for a set of precision nut files, but when I'm only working on my own stuff and sometimes a guitar for a friend, that's a lot of cash.

I was racking my brain trying to figure out an acceptable substitute without breaking the bank. I happened to look at the feeler gauges I use to measure nut action and neck relief and a light bulb went on. So, after a trip to the local AutoZone, I had a new set of feeler gauges, clamped them into my vise and went at them with a cutting wheel on my Dremel. They aren't pretty, but they work! These things made quick work of that nut, in fact after the amount of time I was used to filing with the welding tip cleaners, I almost overdid it on the first slot I cut in with the new "files." $7 at Auto Zone and 10 minutes of my time with the Dremel.

Nut-file.jpg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That is a great idea! I am working on a nut currently and will make some "feeler files"(y)

Be prepared to rearrange the order of the blades in the pack. The gauges I have only go to .026". You will need to double up two blades to make it to .036" and .046" (assuming a standard set of .010 strings).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So the feeler gauge becomes like a little saw blade? Genius.

Not me. I saw it in another guitar forum a year or two ago and had forgotten about it, until I spent an hour getting the low E string down to .018" clearance to the first fret.

It's funny. I was totally disgusted with myself and the FauXplorer when I put it together because of the finish. After a little fret end touch up and a really good setup (followed by setups on the two following days), I'm feeling better about it.... so much so, I replaced the cheapo machine heads with Grover mini-lockers. The nut is on order and I'm still toying with the possibility of stuffing a JB bridge and Jazz neck pickup in it. I've actually been very impressed with the noname pickups that came with the kit. I may end up keeping those. I even went against my usual practice of using CTS (or bournes) pots and used the little ones that came with the kit. Only thing I HAD to do was put a treble bleed circuit on it. The high end roll-off was horrendous with the volume anywhere but at full on. I didn't check if the pots are linear or audio taper. If I put the Duncans in it, the pots and switch will be replaced as well.

Last edited:

straightblues

Blues Junior
My favorite alternative was the welding tip cleaners.

After trying alternatives for years, I bought a set of Hosco nut files from Japan. I made a nut yesterday. It is nice to use real files. But it is super expensive. They were about $120.

https://www.hosco.co.jp/en/luthier-tools/nut-fret-files/tl-nf11.html

I also bought the Stewmac string slotting gauge. It allows you to accurately set the string height. It is worth having if you do your own setups. Expensive but worth it. It is so much easier to use then feeler gauges.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too..._for_Nuts_and_Saddles/Nut_Slotting_Gauge.html

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That's pretty cool! I have essentially the same ones Mark posted, but I don't use them that often as I almost always replace the nut on a cheap guitar build with a Tusq. In fact, the last time I used them was for the same reason as you. ;)

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I got a brand new neck from Warmouth last year that had the last 2 slots cut way too high, so I just bought 2 fret files from Stew Mac. The frets were all scratchy so I also had to buy fret protectors and polishing cloths too. Warmoth gave me a $35 credit, but it really shook my faith in them and their QC.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I have a mixed bag of nut files aquired over the years ranging from bass to .009 electric guitar. The main thing is if you cut too low, there's no going back, you have to start over.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The main thing is if you cut too low, there's no going back, you have to start over.
I've used the old Super Glue and baking soda trick to fix up a couple of pawn shop finds. It seems to hold up pretty well... although it wouldn't look too good on the FauXplorer. It has a black nut.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm not sure how permanent those superglue fixes are,
I have one here that is going on five years old and it's still going strong. If I had paid more than $35 for the guitar I might consider replacing the nut, but it's a Squier and still well within factory specs.