Zoom G1x Four

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Band mate of mine has one. He is constantly fiddling with which is annoying but the effects are decent for band/jam although they're easy to overdo.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I bought this one, the G1ON, when it came out (it was $34.99 when I bought it) in 2012. I had just started on guitar and didn't get too far with it because the presets were mostly geared toward metal players. I did tweak one of the blues settings and got a pretty good sound, if I recall. I put it away after about 3 months because I realized I prefer a clean tone of just guitar to amp. I probably should pull it out again now that I am a much better player. It was easy to use once the tweaking was done :)

Eric

jcjimz

Blues Newbie
I know the box has 68 rhythm tracks. I assume these are drum tracks and it says you can change the time signature but can you change the beats per minute for each pattern?

I have always been intrigued with effects boxes, although I have never come close to exploiting one to its full potential... I currently have the Zoom G3, and expect I'll snag a used G3xn sooner or later. Admittedly, I have tended to skip over pedals like the G1x and not give them much consideration. My thought being I prefer the individual controls for each effect. But am I missing something? Other than the lower price, and smaller footprint, are there any functional advantages the G1x has over something like the G3xn?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I know the box has 68 rhythm tracks. I assume these are drum tracks and it says you can change the time signature but can you change the beats per minute for each pattern?
Mr. Scary never said whether he picked it up or not. I have the older and cheaper G1on and you can set the tempo. Here is a screen shot from the G1on manual.

g1.jpg

I'd be surprised if the G1x4 didn't allow it also.

Hope that helps, jcjimz.

Eric

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I prefer the individual controls for each effect
Eblues, you can tweak each effect in my G1ON, if you don't mind a small screen and menus. The one Mr. Scary posted appears to have software so you can apparently do the tweaking on the PC or Mac. I don't have one so I am going by the description.

Eric

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I have always been intrigued with effects boxes, although I have never come close to exploiting one to its full potential... I currently have the Zoom G3, and expect I'll snag a used G3xn sooner or later. Admittedly, I have tended to skip over pedals like the G1x and not give them much consideration. My thought being I prefer the individual controls for each effect. But am I missing something? Other than the lower price, and smaller footprint, are there any functional advantages the G1x has over something like the G3xn?

I've had a G3 on my board for several years, soon after it came back. I can't image a reason to replace with the other models not only because the G3 sounds great and works great for what I use it for but also built like a tank. Granted I don't use and of the amp/cab models or distortions/OD/fuzz. It is first my tuner, then modulation, then delay, then noise reduction, maybe a boost. I run it through my effects loop. I don't use a lot of modulation, maybe a little flange or chorus or rotary or trem. The tuner and noise reduction is enough to justify the thing and I love the lay out like three stomp boxes. Unless I got the urge and the money for some of the WAY more expensive stuff out there sticking with the G3 a solid piece of gear.

You can get them for $75 - $150 on ebay or reverb

The layout and user interface of the G3 is very intuitive. I've lived through bouts with first the Digitech GNX4, and then the Boss GT-8. Both of those MFX boards had a very painful learning curve. I remember thinking the GT-8 was easy to use compared to the GNX4. But from an intuitive, ease of use perspective, the Zoom G3 is in a whole 'nother league. It's pretty much like having three separate pedals, and if you're willing to scroll, you can have up to six effects in the chain. I bought mine a year ago on Ebay for $100. They should be even cheaper now. The next generation G3n series has 6 control buttons, and is only $170 new.