More unabashed bragging...

EJG

Central NJ
A few years ago, my youngest son achieved the nearly impossible dream of being hired as an Assistant Professor in Philosophy at a *very* prestigious university (often ranked the top university in the world). Well, now he has done something even more unbelievable... he has been named to an endowed chair at that university. That's an extremely high honor. I've been in the academic world my whole adult life and I've never heard of *anyone* getting an endowed chair this early in his/her career. I guess he's pretty good...

BTW, he's also a pretty good guitar player. He gigged all the way through his undergraduate and graduate programs and made enough money from it that he never spent the money he received as a Research/Teaching Assistant in grad school.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Congratulations to your son. That is impressive. Congrats also to you and your wife. Will the
endowment also cover his gigging and guitar expenses?!

Reactions: EJG

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
That is super impressive!! Well done him.(y) And well done to you and your wife, as you probably taught him all he knows.:D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
A few years ago, my youngest son achieved the nearly impossible dream of being hired as an Assistant Professor in Philosophy at a *very* prestigious university (often ranked the top university in the world). Well, now he has done something even more unbelievable... he has been named to an endowed chair at that university. That's an extremely high honor. I've been in the academic world my whole adult life and I've never heard of *anyone* getting an endowed chair this early in his/her career. I guess he's pretty good...

BTW, he's also a pretty good guitar player. He gigged all the way through his undergraduate and graduate programs and made enough money from it that he never spent the money he received as a Research/Teaching Assistant in grad school.

Proud papa time for sure! That's amazing!
I guess the apple didn't fall very far from the tree.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Amazing accomplishment!! Hearty congrats to both father and son, you have every right to be proud.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
That's seriously impressive! Now, he just needs to find a generous guitar gear grant.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Very impressive! Congrats to your son, and congrats to you for raising such a fine one!

EJG

Central NJ
Thanks everyone. I don't think I deserve much credit for it... he did the work. But I *do* think music played an important role. I remember very well how frustrated he got when he first picked up a guitar. But he kept at it and put in countless hours (we never had to wonder where he was or what he was doing because we could hear him playing all day long in his room) and became very good. I think that taught him that he can do anything he wants as long as he puts in the work. He brought that focus and determination to his scholarly work.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
As my late uncle always told me… It skips generations! It’s amazing how smart these kids are these days… Congratulations!