quick tricks

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Hey Mark don't give up on the drumming. You might also find bass rewarding if you're more fosused on rhythm

I know that some of it is simply leveraging the work I've done learning guitar stuff, but bottom feeding does seem to offer a degree of short term gratification. :Beer:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Putting yourself in the other's shoes can be enlightening.

I went to a show last night (Roomfuil of Blues) and I was watching the drummer more than anyone else.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Putting yourself in the other's shoes can be enlightening.

I went to a show last night (Roomfuil of Blues) and I was watching the drummer more than anyone else.
where I struggled, I couldnt really communicate, I could make sound effects with my mouth to try and get the idea of what i was looking for

now, I can say closed high hat on 2 and 4, open on 1 and 3 or explain kind of the groove I am thinking.

On the other side of the coin, I realized a drummer doesnt think like a guitarist so sometimes unnderstanding us was tough on them

david moon

Attempting the Blues
There's a reason I have less than 100,000 subscribers on YouTube while so many other people have hundreds of thousands or even millions of subscribers... I have a hard time blowing smoke and counting ain't all that sexy :)
Well Griff, you send out free instructional videos by email almost daily. How many people on that list? And the comments are uniformly positive.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have always stuck to that theory, so I hope it's correct :)

I had a rule for myself when I started this venture that was very simple: I want to have customers that I'm happy to hang out with and I don't ever want to be afraid to run into one on the street.

Anyone who has been to a BGU Live will tell you that hanging out having a drink has never been a problem for this group :Beer:

Admit it. I saw you running for you life when you saw me..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
where I struggled, I couldnt really communicate, I could make sound effects with my mouth to try and get the idea of what i was looking for

now, I can say closed high hat on 2 and 4, open on 1 and 3 or explain kind of the groove I am thinking.

On the other side of the coin, I realized a drummer doesnt think like a guitarist so sometimes unnderstanding us was tough on them
Sometimes the song doesn't need any virtuosity. Heard "Walkin on Sunshine" today on the radio. Drums are kick share kick snare, maybe a little fill. Bass is banging on the root. That provides the substrate for the vocal and horns and propels the song. OK there is a kind of tricky drum intro. And a guitar solo that is just one note with rhythm accents

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Sometimes the song doesn't need any virtuosity. Heard "Walkin on Sunshine" today on the radio. Drums are kick share kick snare, maybe a little fill. Bass is banging on the root. That provides the substrate for the vocal and horns and propels the song. OK there is a kind of tricky drum intro. And a guitar solo that is just one note with rhythm accents
love that song