NGD

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very nice! I've looked at those Hybrid Specials more than once over the years. Really a cool-looking and unique guitar! Used to have a Patriot Decree and it was very well made. Play it in good health! :thumbup:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Congratulations, beautiful guitar!. I love that matching headstock. My Michael Kelly is one of my favorite guitars to play and an incredibly good value for the money, especially given the build quality and features I also had not known that Sam Ash bought the name either.

Mine has a push-pull tone pot to switch between normal and reverse phase on the combined pickup setting. I always wondered why they made the default down position the phase reversal rather than the "pull" position until I realized that it was supposed to be the opposite and had been wired backwards. A few months ago I called MJ and they told me to take it to the closest Sam Ash for a free repair, which I did. The tech there had it ready the next day and told me that they are great guitars but they seemed to produce a batch of them with the push-pull pots wired backwards, which is a little odd because the electronics on the Custom Collection line are done in the U.S.

I hope that Sam Ash keeps up with the innovative designs and the workmanship.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Nice guitar!

But there's an e missing in the word Kelley?
The name Kelley has a long and fine history in Ireland. Sometimes, the second "e" was left off, often due to the local Church not writing it correctly. The Kelley's traveled all over the world. We had a neighbor, Mr. Kelley, whose daughter Mary, went to our Catholic School , Most Holy Redeemer, in San Francisco. Mr. and Mrs. Kelley, had very strong Irish brogue's, and I enjoyed listening to them.

Tom

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
Is that a spalted maple top
I think thats what drew me to it, along with the versatility. One toggle position is just Humbuckers, middle is Humbuckers' and Fishman Powerchip/Acoutsic Bridge, and position 3 is just the Fishman Powerchip/Acoutsic Bridge. One volume knob for Humbucker's with push/pull coil tap, one volume knob for Acoustic bridge, and one tone knob for the Humbucker's. Initially, I was looking at the Fender Acoustasonic, but the Michael Kelly seemed to fit the bill and is a lot more affordable.

Very nice! I've looked at those Hybrid Specials more than once over the years.

My Michael Kelly is one of my favorite guitars to play and an incredibly good value for the money
I definitely plan to purchase more of their guitar's, I played a couple of the Tele's and was really impressed.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
Very nice :thumbup::cool: I have two Michael Kelly guitars...a Patriot Custom and a Patriot Decree. Love them both!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I read somewhere once, that the extra E was added by the wealthy Irish Catholics back east (Like the Kennedy's) in order to differentiate themselves from the protestant Irish immigrants. The Irish immigrants were at the bottom of the class order back then. My Dad always said it meant we were "Scotch Irish", but there is no such thing. It was the term Scotch Irish and the spelling change that the New England Irish Catholics invented to set themselves above the common Irish immigrant trash.

Fortunately my family has proven that we truly belong at bottom of the class order, in spite of how we spell our last name.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I read somewhere once, that the extra E was added by the wealthy Irish Catholics back east (Like the Kennedy's) in order to differentiate themselves from the protestant Irish immigrants. The Irish immigrants were at the bottom of the class order back then. My Dad always said it meant we were "Scotch Irish", but there is no such thing. It was the term Scotch Irish and the spelling change that the New England Irish Catholics invented to set themselves above the common Irish immigrant trash.

Fortunately my family has proven that we truly belong at bottom of the class order, in spite of how we spell our last name.
We had a Scotch Irish family on our block. The dad was Irish (and a policeman) and the mom Scott. The Scots are one of the five Irish Tribes. An Irish joke when you see a Scottie: "Donald, where are your trousers"? ;) That is a question I heard often.

A way to tell a Scottie from an Irishman is to simply look at his front teeth. If he has one or more teeth missing, then he is a Scottie. In a pup, the Irishman is enjoying his Guinness, and telling stories, while the Scottie is looking for a fist fight. It may or may not sound funny, but believe me, that is truly my experience.

Tom