Memorial Day...

sloslunas

NM Blues
Wishing you all the best for this very somber weekend. Please never forget those who gave everything so that we are able to enjoy the freedoms that we do. Also, remember that freedom is a fleeting thing that can be gone in a second. Remain vigilant, as there are many in this world that would like nothing more than to eliminate your freedoms and totally dominate your mere existence. False idols are abundant. Do not take their bait. Acting on emotions rarely leads to permanent solutions. Follow your heart, as it is often your best guide.

Steve

PS. I certainly have no intentions of making this a political statement. If you are offended in any way, I will offer up my apologies now.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Just a nice memory from Memorial Day, 1958. I was 16, and our Boy Scout Troup from Most Holy Redeemer, in San Francisco,went to Hamilton Air Force Base for the event. What happened next I will never forget.

The XF-104 fighter aircraft was being tested and evaluated by the Air Force and had not yet been accepted, thus the X, for "experimental". An F-86 and an XF-104 were going to have a "drag race". There they were, lined up and ready to go. A man dropped a flag, to start the race, just like the Indianapolis 500.

When the wheels of the F-86 left the ground, the XF-104 was at 10,000 feet altitude. WOW! :)

Tom

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
We can never repay the sacrifice our fallen veterans and families have made.
But we can honor them, and help to support them.

There are many organizations out there that actively help fallen veterans families.
You might consider making a donation to help them, because they gave everything they had, to protect us and our country.

Memorial Day.jpeg

Elio

Student Of The Blues
For many years when my two sons were growing up and in scouting, our Memorial Day tradition was going out with their troop to a local cemetery to plant flags on graves of veterans. The procedure was to plant the flag, salute, and move on to the next grave. One of my favorite pictures that I have been trying to locate was of my son as a cub scout saluting a grave, accompanied by a marine in full uniform who joined him in the salute.

Silicon Valley Tom

Can you imagine someone visiting the United States, from another country, and they turn on the television to be greeted by a Memorial Day Advertisement? Get a great discount on a car or SUV! Oh, so that is the meaning of Memorial day! :(

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

My dad was a Marine, from 1937, and remained in the reserves until the late 1950's. He is buried at Fort Rosecrans, which is 10 miles west of downtown San Diego. It over looks the bay. The first time I visited this location, I was truly amazed at the landscape, and wondered why commercial developers had not taken it over. It is such a beautiful place, and you can see San Diego to the east and the pacific ocean to the west.

The Wall.jpg
Front Gate.jpg

Tom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I always find Memorial Day to be the time to reflect on all who have served and particularly those who never returned. My dad served in the Air Force in the Pacific Theatre while my father-in-law served with the U.S. Army in Europe and landed at Normandy. My dad had gone to photography school prior to being drafted. Throughout his time in the service, he lugged around camera equipment and a makeshift darkroom that he could assemble in a tent, and he photographed constantly. Thankfully, he meticulously wrote on the back of each print and described when and where each photo were taken. One of these days, I will finish scanning them all and put them into a usable format.

To my dad, father-in-law, and all others who have served, you have my family's unwavering gratitude.

dad and c46.jpg

Silicon Valley Tom

Some funny stories from WWII.

Dad and best buddy, Jim, had been stationed together, and trained for several years before WWII. One of their jobs was to operate a 50 caliber machine gun. Their company was sent to a Pacific Island, during WWII. It was their first battle. Dad and Jim were sent to defend the left flank, and set up their gun. The word was there was going to be a Banzai Attack that night. Dad wrote mom a letter after the battle, and I read it not too long ago.

The two men were about 100 feet from the closest Marine. Their job was to protect the left flank. After hours of waiting for the attack, a noise was heard in the brush not far away. The tension rose, and dad and Jim were ready for action. After many minutes, finally, a Billy goat came out from the brush, and went over to the men. Dad and Jim fed the goat some of their rations, and had a good laugh. Because of the restrictions of war, no word of a battle was included in the letter.

My dad was there for the battle of the Philippines. Finally, when Douglas MacArthur returned, my dad and his buddies were on the beach where the General landed. They made a sign:

"With the help of God and the United States Marines, MacArthur returns to the Philippines"! Lots of pictures were taken, and the SP's chased the Marines with the sign off the beach. Then there are pictures of MacArthur standing at the open gate of an LST, about to enter the water to walk to the beach. His pant legs were wet up to the knee.

It is said that MacArthur landed at only one spot. I am sure he landed at many places, and not just one.

I saw those pictures when I was a kid, and dad left when I was 8. When I found dad's third wife, I met her in Vista, California. She has the albums, and I opened them. It is amazing how it was as though it was 1949, and I was a kid, looking at those pictures. This occurred in October 2002, right after I discovered my dad had died October 1999.

Many of my friends from W6MLK, Red Cross Radio Amateur Emergency Communications, which I belonged to, were WWII vets. W6URA, Lammy Yeoman, was a radio operator on B-17's, in 8th Air Force.

Lammy's plane was about to land at an English base, and Lammy had forgotten to wind in the long wire antenna (200 feet long). As the plane landed, the antenna wrapped around a huge power pole, and pulled in out of the ground.

Tom