So Low You Can't Hear It: (Lesson 16)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
How embarrassing, my last posting for ABGU was in Aug., 2017! I re-started ABGU a few weeks ago and got to this Solo. Griff calls it a "simple solo with thump bass," It still felt like it took me a lot longer to learn it than it should have...thanks for listening!

So Low You Can't Hear it

Hey jmin, that is well done. I’m glad to hear you are getting back into ABGU because it is a fun course with good tunes.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hey jmin, that is well done. I’m glad to hear you are getting back into ABGU because it is a fun course with good tunes.
Thanks, Jeff! Yes! I'm going unplugged in 2018! I want to see how close I can get to completing ABGU this year. I'm figuring the last song will take about a year, is I'd best get pickin'!

Flip

Steady Rollin´Man
Just started blues finger picking and having a very hard time controlling my right hand thumb for bass notes.
Any good exercises out there?

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Hi Flip! I can’t help you with your question but there will be a bunch of people that will give you some great advice in the next day or two. Welcome to the forum!!! Make sure you go to the “Introduce Yourself” section to say hi to everyone.:)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Just started blues finger picking and having a very hard time controlling my right hand thumb for bass notes.
Any good exercises out there?
Hey, Flip! Welcome to the forum! You may get more answers to your question if you a start a new thread in the "ABGU Questions & Comments" forum. I am almost done with the course (!) after a couple of years and there really were no specific thumb exercises that Griff provided. He does cover finger-picking in Lesson #2, but not specific thumb exercises. I did a quick search and found this guy on the internet talking about the thumb...maybe this will help:
https://youtu.be/hP0pRRmxG-M

Good luck! I found that finger-picking requires lots of practice (like everything else!) and SLOWLY improves over time.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I started playing classical, flamenco, country, Latin, and folk guitar when I was 10. That was 67 years ago, and I am still learning! :)

Do you want to use a pick? Give it a try if you wish. I did not like it, so I do not use one. I prefer the feel of the strings. :cool:

There are several styles of thumb picking for guitar, Travis, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, and the list goes on. This is one example, and is a good one in my book. Mind you, what works for you is best, so try different styles!

Tom

Flip

Steady Rollin´Man
Hey, Flip! Welcome to the forum! You may get more answers to your question if you a start a new thread in the "ABGU Questions & Comments" forum. I am almost done with the course (!) after a couple of years and there really were no specific thumb exercises that Griff provided. He does cover finger-picking in Lesson #2, but not specific thumb exercises. I did a quick search and found this guy on the internet talking about the thumb...maybe this will help:
https://youtu.be/hP0pRRmxG-M

Good luck! I found that finger-picking requires lots of practice (like everything else!) and SLOWLY improves over time.
Hey jmin, thanks for the hint,I will check out your link and start that thread.
Thangsalot,
Flip

Flip

Steady Rollin´Man
I started playing classical, flamenco, country, Latin, and folk guitar when I was 10. That was 67 years ago, and I am still learning! :)

Do you want to use a pick? Give it a try if you wish. I did not like it, so I do not use one. I prefer the feel of the strings. :cool:

There are several styles of thumb picking for guitar, Travis, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, and the list goes on. This is one example, and is a good one in my book. Mind you, what works for you is best, so try different styles!

Tom
Hey Tom,thanks I look at learning to play the guitar like climbing a mountain;one step at a time and sometimes you have to go sideways before you make progress toward the top,but the truth is that the mountain top always is higher and the climb is where the fun is. I started playing with a pick but would very much be able to play fingerstyle as well.
Keep climbing and thanks again,
Flip