The latest news...

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'll echo the "hang in there, brother!" comments, as well as my own dislike for moving. We've been in this house for just under 14 years thus far and we have every intention of retiring in it and leaving it to our kids. I remind myself of that resolve every time we have a "money pit" moment, such as is going on this week. :confused:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Tom; since your post it has brought me to the stark reality that Sharon and I are going to have to move from our home of 34 years in the next couple years--(nothing from dire straits or anything like that)---it is about our own personal safety. There are 16 steps from my drive way to the front door I walk them on an average of 5-6 times a day and on some days many more, the thought of falling gets scarier every day---I am no where as agile as I was 34 years ago---my legs are getting weaker and my eyesight ain't very good anymore---my wife has back problems too.
We have been talking about it for the past few years we both agree time to move to flat ground. Bummer but that's the way it has to be. your post has now give me a head start on the planning. Later

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hope everything works out well for you Tom. The last time a landlord told me I had to move so he could sell the house, I bought it.... Been here 40 years now but it's paid for... Looks like an episode of hoarders...
Best of luck compadre.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I feel your pain Tom. When my wife lost her job last October we started a lot of changes. First we have our house for sale. My wife works near Calgary so she stays with her friend during the week and comes home weekends.I stay here and look after the house and dogs. I hope the house sells soon.Then we will have to find another home near her work, but can't do that until this house sells. The down sizing has started. I have sold some of my guitars and other stuff.I have severe arthritis in the back, wrist etc. so am limited in what I can do. For what it is worth (not a lot I think. LOL) I am stating as positive as I can Though I went through weeks of sadness, depression, anger and so on to the point of not playing my guitars for a long time. Feeling better now, playing more and doing "One day at a time." I am sending all the good luck I can to you Tom.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I feel the pain of all you movers. Especially the forced movers. As they say as one door closes another one opens (not another slams in your face as I have heard before). We are girding our loins for a move after being here for 17 years. It is a choice. We are hoping to free a little cash and also move closer to the center of a town. Taxi fares are too high from where we are to town. Still we are not looking forward to it. We really should have the house on the market as I have been retired almost a year now. Hopefully next year:D. As for downsizing. I still have must have boxes in the loft that haven't been opened from 2 moves ago. I think I will loose the argument this time round:rolleyes:. And BCB I feel your pain we must have about 20 steps down to the front door. And as for the hill down to the pub :eek:

cheers

Al.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Sorry to hear this Tom. First I found out that the Corn Palace is no longer in business and now SVT being evicted. What’s going on in Sunnyvale? Some bad juju?

Best wishes for you and yours.

Eric

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Sorry to hear this Tom. First I found out that the Corn Palace is no longer in business and now SVT being evicted. What’s going on in Sunnyvale? Some bad juju?

Best wishes for you and yours.

Eric
Within the last 41 years, I cannot tell you how many times Katy and I stopped by the Corn Palace! I got to know the owners and had lots of nice conversations with them. They grew lots of great goodies. When the parents passed, the children took control and sold it. As we drive past Lawrence Express Way, not too far from our house, we get to see the remains of the Corn Palace. Condos! :(

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

This is not good news! I use to live in Sunnyvale and it was great for the time. Orchards of oranges and fields of strawberries. As much as I know that you love living in the bay area, considering the ridiculous rents that they are getting there may be much greener pastures. Take a look around and consider all of the options (although I am sure that you have already done this). God speed to your bride and her quick recovery...

Steve
I had friends that told me stories about working in Sunnyvale, back in the 1930's, when they were kids. Their parents were from the Ukraine, and they lived on Potrero Hill, in the city. We called it Russian Hill, even though there is an official Russian Hill. They would take their kids out of school in May, to start the harvest. At night, when the sun went down, the parents would turn on the headlights of the cars to provide light for their children, to climb ladders and pick fruit in the dark, while the adults played the balalaikas, and drank vodka.

There are no roads in Sunnyvale that are in a straight line. As the orchards were sold, they would build county and city roads around the existing properties. Another story is, now that many Chinese live in the area, the Chinese are superstitious about straight lines. Evil spirits travel only in straight lines, so all our roads and streets are twisty turny! It must work, as I have not seen an evil spirit since I moved here in 1998. :(

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

I hope you can get the move sorted without to much stress.

Did you know that Wendy Richards who appeared in "Are You Being Served" also featured in a song by Mike Sarne
I always thought of Wendy as my younger sister. I hated it when she would have to defend herself against the men on the show.

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

Move here to Minnesota - you can buy a mansion for less than the rent on a one bedroom loft in San Francisco LOL.

Seriously though, take care and stay calm :) Hope everything works out OK.
Jack, you never know! My dad left our family, and ended up in Minnesota, at one point of his life. I found two brothers and two sisters from his second marriage that were raised there, and communicate with them. One moved to Arizona. I am still waiting to meet them in person. I did get to meet my step sister by dads third marriage, and she lives in Vista, California.

Tom

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Tom sorry to hear this turn of events, especially as your wife is recovering. Sometimes things happen that at first seemed like a trial or tribulation, and in the long run turn out to be a blessing. I hope this turns out to be the case in your situation. One thing for sure you don't need to be dealing with the stress of maintaining a high rent at this point in your life. As others have suggested best bet is to find a place with a reasonable cost of living. Try not to focus on what you are losing, and look at the gift you've been given, to start a new chapter in your life. I've said a prayer for you and your wife, and wish you the best on your journey.

davidc252

Blues Newbie
Tom I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I hope you find an affordable place to live and get their safely. My prayers are with your wife's recovery. Hang in there and things will work out. I'm a believer in things always working out for the best eventually. Try to keep a positive outlook.

All the best to you,

Dave