HTJBA

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Don't want to discourage the electric guys. This course is just as applicable to you.

Griff just chose to teach it on acoustic.:)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Don't want to discourage the electric guys. This course is just as applicable to you.

Griff just chose to teach it on acoustic.:)

Yeah: in the intro he stresses that it works perfectly fine on an electric. It's all good. :Beer:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
It got me to break out the acoustic and remember how fun and good it can sound.
And since my new geetar is primarily acoustic this style of playing is right in the heart of where I'd like to get. :Beer:
I've mainly been playing my acoustic guitar lately. Playing the acoustic with 12'ves has made me get better with my strength and accuracy. This has also helped my pinky to be more accurate with less flailing and flying around......... The hammer-ons and pull-offs require focus and those bends are pretty tough.......... :Beer:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Just curious but how is HTJBA different from Playing On The Porch? Cliff Notes description of difference will be fine.

Maybe this one is meant to be played exclusively inside the house when no one else is home.
After all, playing outside on a porch - even if no one else is present at the primary residence - offers no true guarantee of solitude as neighbors or passersby may be within earshot or at the very least could see someone playing a guitar and either one would tend to compromise the whole "alone" aspect.

It's as good an answer as any, I suppose. :confused:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If memory serves (and is doesn't always cooperate), POTP is more basic just a few ideas and HTJBA gives you more licks that you can use any way you like.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
"Playing On The Porch" is more of a concept or style of playing, i.e. jamming by yourself while rockin' out on the porch.

Griff refers to this style in several courses and video lessons, from basic (POTP & BGU) to more "advanced" (HTJBA).

And I do seem to recall a challenge or two in this style?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Griff shared it over on the FB group but it won't be linked to the main shop for a few days yet.
At first I thought that was kind of odd that he would give it out on FB before sending out an email announcement.

But I seem to recall that he said something awhile back about phasing out email because it was getting too unreliable?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I went back through my emails and Griff did send one about this course on April 25th. In my case it just got overlooked in the flood. Here’s the text:

EDIT: guess I can’t paste text into this forum on my tablet.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Sorted it. Here’s the email:

About 6 months ago, I did a video for my blog and put it up on YouTube called... "How To Jam Alone As A Beginner."

That one video has had almost 500,000 views in about 6 months!

So, clearly, I struck a nerve :)

Well, that told me there was a need, so I worked on putting together a much more complete course on playing by yourself (solo.)

And it's ready, it's called "How To Play Alone On Your Guitar." (I'm not one for catchy titles, I realize.)

Now, no one knows about it yet, I just finished it. I haven't done any of the preview videos or anything - but I wanted to let you have a week-or-so headstart since you're an All Access Pass holder.

You can find the new course inside the member area on the "My Courses" page... and I hope you can take some time and play with it.

I'll be doing some videos next week introducing the course, and I'll give you some additional ideas on how to practice and use the material. But even before that I wanted to make sure you can give it a test run.

So enjoy, and please let me know how you like it.

Talk soon,
Griff

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I hope emails don't get phased out as I don't do Faceache
I’m not much for that place but it has some uses. The link was shared in response to a question about the related YouTube videos; I’m not sure it presages some sort of sea change.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Some who didn't get the April 25th email about the course also noted they didn't get the April 30th email with the new AAP live session schedule. Clearly something is up.

I think it was in a live session that someone asked about email and Griff said to complain to your provider. It's not something happening on his end. (He's not the one "phasing" it out.)

As long as the word gets out, either by email, facebook, or someone here in the forum, it's all the same to me.o_O

Scotty R

Blues Newbie
Just found a promo video for this course where Griff uses his 335 and also incorporates a looper. I don't think that video is released yet, but there was a link at the end of one of the others...

Anyway, I see that as an awesome progression on this theme. And maybe it's the inspiration for a Vol 2 one day. Where the licks are more electric inspired, and we learn better uses for a looper which can be providing the background rhythm.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hi All... I'll weigh in on some of the comments/questions:

1 - This is WAY more in depth than Playing On The Porch, which is pretty light by comparison, and also more remedial. These licks would be more challenging, and there are 5 grooves instead of the 2 in POTP... though the "thump bass" idea in POTP is not represented in HTJBA. So I guess they both have their place.

2 - Vimeo made a chance to how end screens worked and all of a sudden people started seeing other videos that are uploaded but not published, like the 335 video. I've fixed that problem, but the cat's out of the bag now so obviously there is another video headed your way where I'll dive more into using these ideas on electric. It's just a bonus, nothing major, but should be fun.

3 - Email is not dead, but delivery has gone into the toilet. Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail all basically drop all of my emails on the ground and there's nothing I can do about it. Spammers have ruined it for the rest of us and it sucks. I get sometimes a dozen or more emails each day from people complaining that they don't get my emails anymore. When Regina or I replies to a customer service inquiry, they don't get it - it's really frustrating.

Those email services won't listen to the senders, only their customers - you. So if you used to get my emails and you don't now, please let them know. I suspect this will pass at some point, but I really don't know. In the meantime, Facebook is a next best thing, along with the forum here.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Perhaps a closed sticky thread where the emails can be listed would be a good idea, then we can check it when we visit the forum.
If it's important, it does. But admittedly not everything.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Nabbed at the early bird discount price. I decided I didn't want to wait for the next Golden Ticket to get the videos and tracks offline, and I want my hands on a hardcopy of that lick library. This is great stuff! :Beer: