To F-hole or not

Slofinger

Blues Junior
This a semi-hollowbody I just finished. I made it in the fashion a hollowbody is built, but added a center block. I pondered when I built it about putting in an f-hole, but then thought then I'll want to bind it so I scrapped the idea. It sounds pretty good without one, but I might still do one. It's got a Gibson '57 classic neck pup with Fender TexMex middle and bridge. I was just having fun with it and thought I'd try some different combinations. I just got this MightMite neck from Stewmac for $99. They're normally about $135.image.jpeg

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That's got plenty of character as is! (y)

However, that does beg the question:
What effect will an f hole have on tone?

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Beautiful guitar Slofinger. Leave it alone...put f holes in your next project.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
It's not going to make a ton of difference in the tone if the center block is continuous and splits the chamber in half.
So in the end it's your choice, more for visuals than any other reason.

Edit: you do good work. Given how long I spend on building my necks, I wonder if I should start buying them...

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Beautiful work Slofinger! A truly unique look and combination of pickups.

My custom Grez guitar has a hollow body with center block splitting the guitar into two chambers and it sounds great without F-holes.

Inside joke - Only @paparaptor , @obsidianskies and @FrankL can tell you whether to F-hole or not (correction - and @mountain man).
:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Inside joke - Only @paparaptor , @obsidianskies and @FrankL can tell you whether to F-hole or not. :LOL:

@mountain man was on the team for a year as well!
f-hole-picks.jpg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
That's a beautiful guitar. I'm always so impressed (not to mention) jealous to see the quality and detail you put into your work.

I wouldn't worry about binding f-holes. Only one of three I have with f-holes has them bound.

Slofinger

Blues Junior
Thanks all. I've decided not to go with an f-hole. Also today I got a call from a guy that bought a guitar similiar to this one that I had built and he was hoping I still built guitars. Wants to surprise his sons 16th birthday with a guitar like this. Always gratifying to get feedback from happy buyers.
I did discover today that the MightMite neck from Stewmac for such a good deal only has a 1way truss rod.