Rifftone M5 5.8GHz Wireless Guitar System

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
WARNING!!! @PapaBear exit from this post NOW without reading it! :LOL:

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to talk about this wireless guitar system I've had for a month or so now. After trying a few cheaper models that had issues, I was about to bite the bullet and go for a Boss or Xvive wireless when I came across the Rifftone. It's sold in the US by the Earth City Sound Co. on Ebay, Reverb and Amazon for $109 shipped. The same unit (under a different name) is sold on Amazon for $140 and in Canada as a Carparelli for $175 CAD.

This baby is a keeper. Plug each one in, turn them on and play. No noise, no interference and no dropouts, plus at least 4 hours of use on a charge (longer if not used continuously). Sounds great with no difference in volume level vs. a cable. Planning on using it for a show on Sunday. They're a bit longer, but narrower than the Xvive, while keeping the full swivel for use with any guitar. Very happy with it.

http://rifftonefx.com/5.html

Rifftone M5.jpg

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
WARNING!!! @PapaBear exit from this post NOW without reading it! :LOL:

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, I wanted to talk about this wireless guitar system I've had for a month or so now. After trying a few cheaper models that had issues, I was about to bite the bullet and go for a Boss or Xvive wireless when I came across the Rifftone. It's sold in the US by the Earth City Sound Co. on Ebay, Reverb and Amazon for $109 shipped. The same unit (under a different name) is sold on Amazon for $140 and in Canada as a Carparelli for $175 CAD.

This baby is a keeper. Plug each one in, turn them on and play. No noise, no interference and no dropouts, plus at least 4 hours of use on a charge (longer if not used continuously). Sounds great with no difference in volume level vs. a cable. Planning on using it for a show on Sunday. They're a bit longer, but narrower than the Xvive, while keeping the full swivel for use with any guitar. Very happy with it.

http://rifftonefx.com/5.html

View attachment 7717
:mad:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Mike, Mike, Mike,
This makes me crazy.
I hope these work and you'll be happy forever.

A while back, I posted my thoughts on buying "bargain priced" gear and this is a classic example of the frustration I have with that concept.

If I'm following the bouncing ball, you paid $109 for these and you've tried a few less expensive ones previously that did not meet your expectation. The "good" ones are in the $150 - $200 range.

I'll take guess that your total out of pocket so far with at least three sets is in the range $150+.
It makes me nut to read this stuff.

Believe me, I've over paid for way too many things so, I'm not the best example to follow but, I'd much rather spend a few extra buck up front for the "Good Stuff' then to be frustrated with a pile of inferior gear that I'll never use.

I'd make a terrible customer service rep, I'd be giving refunds way too often.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I get you CaptainMoto and while most of my bargain priced purchases work out, I definitely spent more on this one. On the plus side, the one I bought before this one is fine for practicing at home, so at least I still use it. :rolleyes:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I get you CaptainMoto and while most of my bargain priced purchases work out, I definitely spent more on this one. On the plus side, the one I bought before this one is fine for practicing at home, so at least I still use it. :rolleyes:
Great.(y)
Hope these deliver for you.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Timely post. I was looking to replace my G30 or buy stock in Duracell.

While I'd like to see a little better battery life, 5.8G for $109 bucks? I should make that back in batteries in less than a year, plus I get the transmitter off my strap, and free up a space on my pedal board, or can run sans pedal board.

Thanks for posting Mike.

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I think the best current choice here is probably boss wl 50 or wl 20 system.

I have a boss katana air for practicing upstairs and use the wl 50 for downstairs. The wl 50 works well for pedal boards while the 20 is more basic straight into amp no muss no fuss.

Supposedly up to 12 hours of playing time but who keeps going that long?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Very timely. I tried an inexpensive Flanger and found that it cuts out at pretty much every use. Fortunately when I complained, the seller gave me a full refund and let me keep the units, so I still use it for practice. I discovered that Monoprice has a wireless system that had good reviews but only about 2 hours on a charge and some limitations for use with a bass.

I also discovered that Carvin just introduced one that begins shipping later this month. The regular price is $159 but it is on sale for $139 until the first week of May. I've been waiting until someone posts a review before making a decision but the Rifftone gives me another option to consider.

Whoa, I just took another look at the rifftone, and it looks an awful lot like the Carvin.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
While I'd like to see a little better battery life, 5.8G for $109 bucks?

I'm being conservative on the battery life as I've never used it non-stop for that long. Some claim 8 hours, but I think that's unlikely. A warning light starts to flash on the transmitter (which always runs out first) when the battery is getting low, but it keeps working for some time after that (at least 30 minutes).

I have a friend that has the Boss WL50 that he uses for gigging and loves it, so I was headed there until I found this one. When I compared the two, I couldn't detect any difference in sound. I also like that the M5 folds flat against the body with any guitar.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Very timely. I tried an inexpensive Flanger and found that it cuts out at pretty much every use. Fortunately when I complained, the seller gave me a full refund and let me keep the units, so I still use it for practice. I discovered that Monoprice has a wireless system that had good reviews but only about 2 hours on a charge and some limitations for use with a bass.

I also discovered that Carvin just introduced one that begins shipping later this month. The regular price is $159 but it is on sale for $139 until the first week of May. I've been waiting until someone posts a review before making a decision but the Rifftone gives me another option to consider.

Whoa, I just took another look at the rifftone, and it looks an awful lot like the Carvin.

Yep, that Carvin's the same unit. It's sold under different names in other countries. Here's the Canadian version (which has a few YouTube videos): http://www.carparelliguitars.com/in...-Guitar-or-Bass/p/125270851/category=32911713

and the British version (Beautyshow??): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Beautyshow-Transmitter-Receiver-Instrument/dp/B07KW25CYP

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yep, that Carvin's the same unit. It's sold under different names in other countries. Here's the Canadian version (which has a few YouTube videos): http://www.carparelliguitars.com/in...-Guitar-or-Bass/p/125270851/category=32911713

and the British version (Beautyshow??): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Beautyshow-Transmitter-Receiver-Instrument/dp/B07KW25CYP

Maybe I don't have to wait for reviews then after all. So it has performed pretty reliably for you, @MikeR ?

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Maybe I don't have to wait for reviews then after all. So it has performed pretty reliably for you, @MikeR ?

Well, I've been using it for daily practice for 2 months now and it's performed flawlessly. I've tried it at about 20 feet and there were no dropouts, but normally, it's much closer. I've used it for our last two rehearsals and plan on using it at our Blue Note show tomorrow. As Bernie mentioned about the Boss, you can switch guitars without having to do anything else. Only had to pair it the first time I used it. Since then, it's just been plug-and-play.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I have been using the boss katana air for ( 10 months? ) now and it works flawlessly so far. That system uses the same pluggable guitar transmitter as the WL20 and WL50.

The WL50 i have had for a month about.

Any of these rechargeable adapter systems will fail at some point ( 3 years? 5? Dunno ) when the guitar plug in adapter stops recharging probably. I do not think any of them ( could be wrong ) uses a user replaceable rechargeable battery.

I do not know anything outside of the boss/roland system but why mess around with another choice ... thats my feeling anyhow best luck people!

Of course as long as one still has a guitar cable around its easy to keep playing!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Well, I've been using it for daily practice for 2 months now and it's performed flawlessly. I've tried it at about 20 feet and there were no dropouts, but normally, it's much closer. I've used it for our last two rehearsals and plan on using it at our Blue Note show tomorrow. As Bernie mentioned about the Boss, you can switch guitars without having to do anything else. Only had to pair it the first time I used it. Since then, it's just been plug-and-play.
Mike have you tried them with active pickups?