Course recommendations

MikeGamby

Blues Newbie
So I joined the site just over a week ago not remembering that I had to go away for a week due to work. Just coming back to the site now and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of content. I want to make the most of my time by not getting lost checking out courses here and there.

Looking for recommendations for an intermediate player (off and on for 20 years) and started back up about 2 years ago. Never really did proper practice or lessons but this time around I'm noticing i'm becoming more disciplined and trying to keep the noodling to a minimum. I have a basic knowledge of theory (I sort of know what i'm supposed to do). As far as playing goes, I don't have much of a problem learning songs, my biggest problem is that because I mainly play alone, I often learn a song and forget it within a week.

I'll try to see if I have any samples of my playing so you can get a better idea where I'm at.

:Edit:
Found a couple samples. Nothing great, but at least shows you where I'm at.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fd4a8j75a4bh9x/Numb2ndSolo_take1.mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw3ns7f0bbnlmkh/AcousticTest.mp3

Thanks in advance.
~Gamby

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Your soloing is about as good as it gets.
If you are just looking for some new things to play, you might want to try:
- Blues Solo Construction Tool Kits (Slow Blues or Shuffle)
- Slow Blues Supplement
- Pentatonic Scales & Technique Mastery

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Please stay AWAY from the Virtual Jam Room.You'll just embarrass the rest of us.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Great playing all round Gamby. I think you should try Blues Gig In a Box Volumes 1&2. There're some great pieces in there.

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Dude you may think you are intermediate but crap you have to rethink that. You are at least fairly good at the minimum.

Most of us newbies here stay the heck out of the virtual jam room. Its full of good players doing stuff.

artyman

Fareham UK
Dude you may think you are intermediate but crap you have to rethink that. You are at least fairly good at the minimum.

Most of us newbies here stay the heck out of the virtual jam room. Its full of good players doing stuff.
You must be joking I hang out in the VJR and wouldn't consider myself a good player even in my wildest dreams or is that nightmares, I just have fun there.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

Yeah if that's intermediate, I'm a rank beginner

MikeGamby

Blues Newbie
I know I always downplay my abilities. We are our worst critics. As far as why I consider myself an intermediate player is I only ever categorized by beginner/intermediate/expert. I know I am not an expert. Especially since the more I learn about guitar, the more I realize I don't know.
I really do appreciate the comments fellas.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
One takes a course to learn things. What do you want to learn? Until you can answer that it is hard to advise.

Since you already have some skill playing guitar (based on the pop and bluegrass recordings you posted) do you want to learn the blues? BGU is great. Want to learn acoustic blues? ABGU is great. Want to learn some licks and short solos? Lots of courses here. Want to learn theory? See where I’m going with this? :Beer:

Eric

MikeGamby

Blues Newbie
I guess I should've made myself more clear for what I want to learn.
Blues licks/theory/exercises & improv. For both electric & acoustic. I mainly play rock and blues rock.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I guess I would tend to categorize guitar players into the following categories:

Beginner: can do little limited chords might be able to play a some songs with practice.

Intermediate: can hang with a bunch of songs on strumming and can pick up songs pretty fast. Rhythm playing on a fair amount of stuff not too hard. Soloing competently ... not so much. Maybe can do some limited soloing on songs that you have played way too many times ( but still enjoy )

OK ish: Above intermediate can jump in and solo depending on genre and speed.

Good: Can play along with almost anything even from levels above once getting familiar with a song.

Dang good: Might be expert but modest maybe ... lots of very experienced players and most professionals probably.

Expert and/or God like; Clapton / Jimi / Duane / SRV / BB / Beck / Howe / etc ... the usual suspects ...

To me Mike you seem to be into the Good category. Dunno limited samples. Seems like you have some pretty good chances of proceeding even higher in the list. Clarifying your priorities and putting a plan together seems like might need some attention.

I don't expect or hope for me personally to get much past intermediate. I would love to get to ( and am working hard and having fun ) working toward OK ish. Good ... dang I dunno ... cross my fingers and if I stay healthy ... that's still a number of years away.

MikeGamby

Blues Newbie
My endgoal would be to be able to play off pure feel and improvise. Yes I know that's quite a bit away. Since I started playing again 2 years ago...i'm slowly unlocking those "a-ha" moments. I just have to keep the distractions to a minimum. I also need people to play with.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Both examples posted were very well done. You seem fine with rhythm, and hear the melody and harmonic structure. Excellent technique.

So did you learn these from lessons or just listening and figuring it out? Do you know why those notes work (theory) or just playing a pattern that was memorized?

BGU starts from pretty basic stuff but it wouldn't hurt to go through it for anything you might have missed. Starts with rhythm/chords and then into solos but also the "boxes" where you find the notes that work.

MikeGamby

Blues Newbie
Thanks David.
I learned those songs most likely by starting to figure them out on my own, then most likely ended up watching a lesson to finish/refine.

I have taken the time to learn songs by watching/listening to the artist. But I get impatient(bad habit I know).

As far as theory goes. I know my major scale and 5 positions of the pentatonics. I need to focus on target notes and slowing down during improv. Most of the time when I think theory, my brain turns to mush by over thinking. But im slowly starting to absorb some of it. Wish I practiced properly back in the day, but that does no good to wish.

I always preferred to write my own stuff and found learning songs boring, but I understand the value I it.

After raising 2 kids, I finally have the time and patience to start focusing on learning again. Just a matter of finding the right content to get me fired up to keep learning.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
It's not courses you need but bookings.
However, given the level you're at I suggest you take a look at the "Blues Gig in a Box" Vol 1 & 2. These are right up your street.

Course Catalogue