Hello from Salem Oregon

Dennis

Blues Newbie
I have been a member of bgu for a long time but struggle to keep up with learning guitar. I've been frustrated after not getting any better and stopped several times. I am starting to practice again and pick up my guitar daily. Maybe this is the time I "get it".

Dennis

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Welcome Dennis, you won't find more empathy or helpful suggestions and encouragement with your frustrations than right here!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Dennis! Good to have you with us!! :thumbup:

Progress sometimes is very slow. Sometimes I'll stick with something for 6 months before I wake up one day and realize the progress I've made. Sometimes I'll keep working other courses for a year and I'm still not satisfied that I've got it, even thought I know that I've come a long way (like speed building).......... I can guarantee your progress if you stop playing your guitar again. Chances are if you continue eventually you will notice improvement as an epiphany one morning.......:Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have been a member of bgu for a long time but struggle to keep up with learning guitar. I've been frustrated after not getting any better and stopped several times. I am starting to practice again and pick up my guitar daily. Maybe this is the time I "get it".

Dennis
Hi Dennis, welcome to the Forum.
One thing that helped me big time was recording my "finished" lesson and posting it on the forum. You can get great feed back and knowing that you plan to post it will motivate you to work on it.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Welcome! You're the second Oregonember to say hi in a week. I'm currently in Colorado but I'm an OSU alumnus (Go Beavers) and lived in Corvallis for 10 years. My mother in law lives in Salem so I visit occasionally. Maybe I can buy you a beer next time I'm there or better we could play together.

I found that you're often your worst critic. The 4 Notes Solo was my gateway drug into this wonderful BGU community and what it helped me "get" is that you don't need to be Clapton to enjoy playing and start playing with others. The "Little Chords" lesson had the same effect: by doing only those 2 things, you're ready to play along songs and play with others.

And playing with others is what drove me to be better, I'm still not very good, but I love every second of it and it's the best thing to drive you forward. Look on Meetup and community boards for get-togethers of like minded people. Look for open jams. Maybe at first you just let people know you'd like to stick to 12-bar and are not yet ready for solos until you get a feel for it and then try a "4 notes Solo" so you don't put high expectations on yourself. You may be surprised at how others react to what you think is "crap"

Another "soft" way to get into it is to participate in the virtual jam room on this forum (look at the bottom of the forums list). This is a very supportive community and VJR is about having fun, not showing off and outdoing each other or showing off your recording and production skills.

So yeah, you're in the right place. Just don't read the "Gear Talk" section or you'll soon have more gear than you knew existed :) just ask Mark Dyson :)