Another New Old Guy

Jay F

Blues Newbie
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jay and i reside in the west Michigan area. I'm 55 and restarting my guitar learning journey. I tried to teach myself via the internet back around 2000 and gave up after about three years of honest effort. Fortunately I kept three of the guitars i bought back then and left them to hang and collect dust in the basement. About a year ago out of nowhere I told myself I want to try this again. The online stuff is far superior today then it was when I tried to learn 18 years ago so I started searching. I bought a membership to one of the more popular online sites, and used for the past year or so. For the last two months I have been bouncing around all over the place. I knew this wasn't good so I decided I needed to focus on one genre and put all my efforts there so it became a no brainer; focus on the blues. Some how I came across one of Griff's youtube videos and was immediately impressed so I watched a few more of his videos and determined he really has a great teaching style. So here I am.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hi Jay. Welcome to the forum. You have chosen a great teacher in Griff. Have fun on your blues journey.(y)

BTW around here, 55 is young!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
Welcome aboard Jay. Very similar story to me. Got me a guitar and an original Line 6 Flextone modeling amp back in 1999 determined to learn to play guitar. I got Doug Marks “Metal Method” course on VHS tape and proceeded to make little to no progress on my quest. I thought that I just needed to watch the videos and like magic I would learn to play. The gear collected dust and when I tried selling the Flextone amp, I realized that outdated modeling amps (especially first generation) lose their value rather quickly:(. I found Griff several years ago but never put in the time needed. Over the past few years I have finally started to see some progress being made and it all boils down to putting time into practicing. I can just tell you to stick with it and don’t get too discouraged, although you will have days that you just want to sell everything and quit. When that happens I just leave the guitar set for a few days and then when I pick it up again is when I seem to make some great strides.

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, great bunch of folk on here with plenty of advice and encouragement, and Griff is the best. If you get a chance try and play with someone if you can, there is always the Virtual jam Room down in the basement so join us in there to practice your skills.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome,
You're in a good place to learn.

Lots of fun memories from western Michigan.
Spent many years cruising to all the port cities along the western and eastern shore.

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
55 sheesh the teeny boppers are starting to find this place!

Congrats yeah griff is great but the key involves putting in time and practicing.

Practicing lots of different things dont get stuck on one thing!

Papa J

Blues Newbie
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jay and i reside in the west Michigan area. I'm 55 and restarting my guitar learning journey. I tried to teach myself via the internet back around 2000 and gave up after about three years of honest effort. Fortunately I kept three of the guitars i bought back then and left them to hang and collect dust in the basement. About a year ago out of nowhere I told myself I want to try this again. The online stuff is far superior today then it was when I tried to learn 18 years ago so I started searching. I bought a membership to one of the more popular online sites, and used for the past year or so. For the last two months I have been bouncing around all over the place. I knew this wasn't good so I decided I needed to focus on one genre and put all my efforts there so it became a no brainer; focus on the blues. Some how I came across one of Griff's youtube videos and was immediately impressed so I watched a few more of his videos and determined he really has a great teaching style. So here I am.
Sounds like my journey leaving out the early experience part! I enjoy trying to play and would really like to actually play something. I started the Beginning Blues Guiter.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Hey Jay, Welcome! I think you'll find a large number of us are coming back to the guitar after many years of setting it aside. You're in good company. And there is a wealth of experience here, along with a friendly vibe.

Wildwood

Playin' Blues
Welcome Jay from another Michigander! I was born and raised in Marshall...about 30 minutes east of you. Hoping to see the Spartans with the Big Dance this year :cool:

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Welcome Jay, I too bounced around the internet learning stuff here and there and I always wanted to play the blues so here I am.