Amps Fender Vibro Champ blackface.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
This is an amp from Dave my amp fixing buddy. He said it was real distorted. I inspected it and it looked good. It had the caps replaced and a 3 wire cord installed. I brought it up slow, and everything seemed to be Ok. So I went ahead and hooked up a guitar.... and it seems to work just fine.

I will spend some more time playing it and do the chopstick think to see if I can find a bad connection somewhere.

I have to say this is the first small Champ style amp that I actually liked the sound. It is a single ended 6V6 power tube, so I think it is 8 watts. They have a Gibson 8" 4 ohm speaker in it. It just has a real nice sound to it.

These amps sell for over $1K.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
An old Vibro Champ is one of two things I always seem to troll the local guitar shows for every year (an old Vibro Champ and a specific model of the Takamine Santa Fe guitar line that they made in 1993). When I first noticed them back like 15 years ago, they were pricing them around here at about $700 or so. Like you said, the last few years, I've noticed they seem to be asking more for them. Last year at the Dallas Guitar Show, I found one that sounded really nice that had a tag on it for $1250. I guess they've gone up because of the vintage market. The ones I've found I haven't been able to bring myself to drop the cash on, but they're small amps with smaller watts that I generally like for the music room. I didn't realize they had a Gibson speaker in them.

Nice amp!! Thanks for telling us about some of these more interesting amps that you work on. It's fun to read about them!

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, I think it's pretty darn cool too.

I decided to at least check out the bias current. It is not adjustable, and the amp is cathode biased, which are pretty reliable.

But I went ahead and hooked up my bias probe. So I put the ammeter in the circuit, turned on the power, 5mA, then 10, then 30, 50, 70, 100, OK time to shut that puppy down!

The cathode resistor was a 470 ohm, and it looked fine. So perhaps something with the control grid circuit? A leaky capacitor from the previous stage would do that, by applying a positive voltage on the grid. I too the power tube out, and measured the voltage on that pin. It went to 5V the -2 then 2V... ? I measured the grid resistor that goes to ground, and as I measured it, the grounded side of the resistor moved. It was soldered thru a jumper wire from the turret board to the brass ground shield. Well, it was supposed to be anyway. There was a nice little groove in the puddle of solder where it used to lay, but it wasn't there. So I soldered it down, and powered it back up.

Now I had a steady 50mA, not increasing at all. Cool. But 50mA seemed a bit high for a 6v6gt tube? I went to the Weber Bias Calculator on the net, and with the datasheet expected voltage of 340V across the tube, the maximum 90% bias current was like 35mA? Not good.

So I tacked an extra 240ohm resistor in series with the 470 ohm resistor. Now the current was 39mA. But I checked the voltage from the plate to the cathode and it was 375V. The bias calc said 33mA. So i found a 1K, 5W resistor and put that in. With that I had 32mA, and 382V across the tube. That is just about right.

So I went ahead and put it back together and got a chance to play it. Really nice sounding Fender clean. It's no Twin Reverb, nor a Princeton Reverb, but a really nice sounding small amp. It needs a better speaker. The little Gibson speaker is nice, but it would really sound nice with a better speaker. I may try putting that Hemp cone Emminence, just to see. If it really sounds better I will call Dave and ask what he wants to do.

So Dave was right there was a problem. I just wonder if it was at 100 mA when I tested it, or if maybe it was working. I think it was running wide open. It was amazing how decent it still sounded. There was a little distortion, but not that much. I guess if amps sounded bad when they wanted to redplate, people wouldn't let them do it. Although I was watching the tubes when I tested it before the fix, and nobody was redplating at the time.

gpower

Blues Junior
Have a '78 SF Vibro Champ that's been my go to practice amp since I got it. Paired with a Holy Grail+ for reverb, it sounds great for a little amp and, gets plenty loud enough. Obviously, in the one you're working on, someone's replaced the speaker. Specs say it should be an Oxford 8EV. Output is 6 watts.