Stop th dreaded pick slipping

Elio

Student Of The Blues
V-Picks work great for me with regard to both slippage and a really nice tone. After they warm up in your fingers they become a little bit tacky and stay in place pretty nicely. I think my favorite is the Tradition for single-note playing and the Tradition Lite for strumming.

https://v-picks.com/

One thing that I found though is that the times I have the most trouble hanging on to picks is when I overthink it. I also have a tendency to tense up my picking hand, arm and shoulder, which really slows down my speed and ability to hold onto the pick. When I make it a point to relax those muscles a little and not focus on it so much, everything begins to fall back into place.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Sound travels in our house and I worry about who's going to have to listen to the noise I'm making, this makes my hands perspire. The billy bonus is my pick sticks to my finger and thumb just fine. o_O

But don't worry if I lend you a pick, I disinfect everything once a year. :rolleyes:
Thatman you sound like me when I go to our local music store and am looking at guitars and the salesman walks up and tells me just grap a guitar and go find an amp, sit down and try them out. I respond you don't want to listen to my racket and laugh. But on the serious side I have noticed the longer I play and start noticing pick slippage my fingers are actually sweating so I believe in your jest there is some honest truth to that statement for me, I like many that played before when they were young, "not having this problem". So hopefully its an age thing and the more I play this problem goes away

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Let us know what you think!

I should have noted that you can pull the rubber gripper thing off and put any other pick you want in the mojo handle.

The folks on E Bay had mentioned that in their add, I thought that might me a nice feature also. We will give them a try, I did the five hole trick to one of my fender picks and tried the soldering iron trick to another so I am working with those right now as some of the other members have suggested would be worth a try.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My current experiment (on hold while a bum finger heals up) is putting Dunlop 0.60 picks into MojoGrip holders for strumming. Looking forward to putting that combo through its paces.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
As of now I seem to be leaning towards the larger physical size of the Fender picks, more towards the med. .25 vs. the heavy .32 however the reason behind this methodology for myself was because I was letting the larger size lean against my index finger as a crutch to help prevent pick creep. That ideal has not been working out for me however. I am really thinking the MojoGrip might be the answer for me because of the thicker gripping size. My Mojo's will be arriving with thin picks and I have not tried those as of yet. So like you I have many experiments going on right now.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I am really thinking the MojoGrip might be the answer for me because of the thicker gripping size. My Mojo's will be arriving with thin picks and I have not tried those as of yet.

Yeah to me the mojo thins seem Mediumish thick. I have three different picks in play now using the mojos including dunlop very thin a chromatic light etc.

Give the mojos a whole week before deciding anything i liked them immediately but adjusting took a bit ...

markherrick

Blues Newbie
The temp. fix I've been using (for about 5 years) is to take a 3/4 " piece of masking tape about 3-4" long, fold it in half with the sticky side out and wrap it around the pick. Works well for several hours, you can adjust the thickness and it's cheap. Downside is, when you pocket them they stick to the pocket liner. Or, you put them on the desk and lay something on top and, Poof! they're gone.
After thinking on it, MojoGrips sound like a pretty good deal.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
Yeah to me the mojo thins seem Mediumish thick. I have three different picks in play now using the mojos including dunlop very thin a chromatic light etc.

Give the mojos a whole week before deciding anything i liked them immediately but adjusting took a bit ...

Received my MoJo's today, with thin pick attached, they measure .016 so they are the thinnest pick that I now own, Can't wait to try them out.

TerryMay

Blues Newbie
My order of Wedgie (.40 and .50) and Dunlop (.38 and .46) extra light nylon picks came in, and I have these observations...

I'm looking for the ideal all purpose pick that I can use for both strumming chords and soloing. For the last year or two I've been using a .53 Snarling Dog Brain pick. Of all the picks I've tried, this one has been my favorite, but I still have pick turn issues with it while strumming full chords for the duration of a full song. I should mention that one main reason I don't strum well is because I just haven't done that much of it over my guitar playing carrier. I'm quite comfortable playing small chords or single note soloing (at least as far as pick control goes).

The Brain pick is a good quality nylon pick, combining a significantly grippy texture with smooth, well finished edges. .53 is the thinnest pick they offer. They're not terribly expensive, a dozen picks is around $12.

So the .53 Brain pick is what I'm comparing to.

The Dunlop .38 is insanely flimsy. It does totally cure my pick turning issues while strumming. However, it's *very* noisy flapping across the strings. Also, the extreme flexibility is seriously detrimental to single note playing. I don't consider this pick usable.

Interesting to note that the Dunlop .38 is significantly more flimsy feeling than the .40 Wedgie, even though they are only .02 apart.

The Dunlop .46 and the Wedgie .40 actually feel nearly identical in flex. The Wedgie picks have a bit of a concave shape where the thumb goes, and the texture is a bit more grippy than the Dunlop, which just has some raised lettering on it. Despite the differences in shape and texture, I don't notice much difference in feel between these two picks.

I can just start to notice some minor pick turning issues creeping in at this thickness, but it's much less bothersome than with the .53 Brain pick. They are somewhat less noisy when strummed than the thinnest pick, but still noticeably noisy compared to the Brain pick. I am comfortable playing solos using picks of this thickness.

I chose nylon because I read somewhere that material is quiet. But that doesn't seem to be the case with these really thin picks.

So in summary, I've determined that going to a thinner pick does help with my control issues. This kinda supports my recent speculation that I'm just hitting the strings too hard, letting the pick dig into the strings too deeply, and/or not rotating my hand enough for the upstroke.

The Dunlop .38 is just too flimsy, too noisy, and unusable for soloing.

The Dunlop .46 (or Wedgie .40) seems like a good compromise for me to move to right now, although I'd bet most folks would tend to find this thickness also way too thin for multi-purpose use. What I'm hoping is that by going to a thinner pick, I'll be able to have less of a fight with pick control, which may allow me to relax a bit, gradually improve my technique, and eventually be able to handle thicker picks more comfortably.

Received my MoJo's today, with thin pick attached, they measure .016 so they are the thinnest pick that I now own, Can't wait to try them out.