After You

Cornfield

Blues Newbie
I started writing this in 2014. As short as it is and with this few of words, you would think it would have come out faster. Originally, I imagined it being sung by Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion (pre-retirement and #MeToo news). Now I'm not so sure he is the right guy for the song.
I played it on a ukulele at a sing around last week. I have recording equipment at home but I'm not real confident in it's usage.

Verse 1
(I) After you Please let me get the door
(IV) After you I haven’t seen you here before
(I) It’s the polite thing to do
(V7) After you (I IV I V7)

Verse 2
(I) After you It's just a courtesy
(IV) After you And It just occurred to me
(I) That I like your attitude
(V7) Think I’ll be after you (walkup)

Bridge
(IV) I come here often ‘Bout once a week
(I) To get my errands run
(IV) Love has always been on my list
(V7) But now I know my shopping is done

Verse 3
(I) After you Took my arm
(IV) After you Said “I’m Charmed”
(I) In that moment I knew
There would (V7) be no one after you (I IV I V7)

Instrumental then repeat Bridge and Verse 3

Last edited:

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
I started writing this in 2014. As short as it is and with this few of words, you would think it would have come out faster. Originally, I imagined it being sung by Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion (pre-retirement and #MeToo news). Now I'm not so sure he is the right guy for the song.
I played it on a ukulele at a sing around last week. I have recording equipment at home but I'm not real confident in it's usage.

There are more than a few talented singers on the forum . . . how about sketching out the melody and putting the song out there?
Maybe one of our colleagues could take Mr Keillor's place.
As for recording equipment and its usage, a smart phone recording would probably suffice.

Cornfield

Blues Newbie
There are more than a few talented singers on the forum . . . how about sketching out the melody and putting the song out there?
Maybe one of our colleagues could take Mr Keillor's place.
As for recording equipment and its usage, a smart phone recording would probably suffice.

My voice isn't in great shape today but I made this video on my IPhone, no compression etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIVFGvQ2tE&feature=youtu.be

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I have recording equipment at home but I'm not real confident in it's usage.
If you'd said 'not at all confident in it's usage', then I could accept that as an excuse for not recording this lovely song, but 'not real confident' means you probably have enough skills to turn out a half decent recording.;) GO FOR IT CORNFIELD!!!!!! Your voice is perfectly acceptable. Have confidence and belief in your own ability!!! You may well be surprised. (I shall be perusing the 'Other Members Recordings' section over the next few weeks, and fully expect to hear the final cut of "After You"):):)

Cornfield

Blues Newbie
That's a great song(y)
Your vocals fit it well:thumbup::thumbup:
Loved it !

Garrison Keillor? Nope!
That is 100% a Leon Redbone song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUW0uAwDyw

Like Davy said, get that recorder warmed up and come on down to 'Other Members Recordings' It just might inspire a few more gems.

Sadly, Leon passed away but you'v e got the idea. I was trying to evoke the 20's or 30's with the melody but most importantly, with the word play.

Cornfield

Blues Newbie
Sounding good, Illinois, I have a suggestion, if I may . . . please check your messages.

I will be traveling throuout March and unable to work on the project. (I do have a uke and a guitar with me for practicing and perhaps an open mic). Anyone is free, however, to pick this song up and run with it, do their own interpretation of it. That’s why I posted the lyric and chord structure.