looper tips

Elwood

Blues
Griff,

I know there are a lot of looper videos out there, but...you have undoubtedly sorted through the junk and have developed a "go to" list of the functions you find most useful. You could help us to learn useful skills and avoid the tech traps that eat up time and don't move fingers or strings. A looper lab would be great for those of us new to getting looped. Maybe a topic for an aap session?

Absolutely lovin the AAP, just need a 28 hour day :)

Steve

Elwood

Blues
Once a (acceptable) loop is created, then what? How to flow it in to a tune? I tap and count, hit stop/start, and I get this fun little thing. (counting error on first layer, decided to make the best of it).
Now, how do you fold this into an actual result? Please don't say a dual looper is needed?
Havin a great time with the rc3 but kinda wondering how you go from 20 seconds of fun to music?

Attachments

• 013_1.m4a
    212.4 KB · Views: 7

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Once a (acceptable) loop is created, then what? How to flow it in to a tune? I tap and count, hit stop/start, and I get this fun little thing. (counting error on first layer, decided to make the best of it).
Now, how do you fold this into an actual result? Please don't say a dual looper is needed?
Havin a great time with the rc3 but kinda wondering how you go from 20 seconds of fun to music?

I found the Boss RC-3 difficult to use, especially in a live situation, because no matter what you record into the loop it will quantize to the nearest timing which always threw me off. I had a friend who used a Ditto looper and seemed to use it easy enough in performance situations so I got one also and have definitely liked it much better but it still takes practice and getting used to when to stop so it loops seemlessly. My goto practice tool for soloing work.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks for the info Dennis. I think I will get along with the rc3 ok, but it is a new world. This is really playing before the (acoustic) mirror. Shock and tons to learn.

I think I got off to a bad start by not recording a long enough foundation track. Maybe I need to have an idea for a tune, come up with the rhythm and get a decent beat going for 2 - 3 minutes. Then maybe lay in some chord stuff, lay some bass in...and then try to add a melody line, some kind of lead fill,...then ice it with some accents here and there (keys with a nice tone just bouncing against the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ooae7x6tksycu5t/combo1.m4a?dl=0

There is a messy two part thing. I didn't make a loop long enough so tried to patch two together. My Audacity skills are weak so I grew tired of trying to splice...But, the concepts should be OK if I am thinking right. If I am totally our to lunch, please somebody say so, I just got this thing Friday and do not wish to embed bad habits and practices

This thing is outrageous fun, I managed to get the Taylor, Tele,, JB, and keys all into that little red box

I believe my mental capacity is nearing critical mass, making video with this may be another chapter in growth.

CAUTION: Do not turn that lil bugger off with unsaved work, my first error cost my about two hours and revealed facets of my vocabulary that I was previously unaware of.

Side note: I believe my dear wife has become a looper widow.

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
If I understand your question, I have 2 thoughts:
1) If you are set up for recording, with an audio interface and a DAW, play it into a track on your daw, then you can use it as you wish.
2) My cheap tiny Chinese looper has a USB out that supposedly can be used to upload loops to my computer, from there, presumably they an be imported into the DAW or some other type of recording or audio program, such as Song Surgeon. I can't say exactly how one would do that as I haven't used that feature (USB uploads) on my pedal yet.

Let us know how you make out.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks for the thoughts.

1} I believe you hit it right there. I got this rc3 Friday and have just been killing batteries. Maybe I'm putting up a roof and trying to slide a house under it. DAW huh? Audacity? Recording into my laptop seems so clunky and clinical, the rc3 is more like real playing to my mind. I am a baby sitting on the floor with a bunch of toys, not making all the right choices right now. The other thing to me, this side of it is more of a necessary, I really want to assign my willing brain cells musical tasks...but I guess I'm a bit hooked now.

2) Moving files is easy with the rc3. It functions as a removable drive for data management.

Last edited:

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Thanks for the thoughts.

1} I believe you hit it right there. I got this rc3 Friday and have just been killing batteries. Maybe I'm putting up a roof and trying to slide a house under it. DAW huh? Audacity? Recording into my laptop seems so clunky and clinical, the rc3 is more like real playing to my mind. I am a baby sitting on the floor with a bunch of toys, not making all the right choices right now. The other thing to me, this side of it is more of a necessary, I really want to assign my willing brain cells musical tasks...but I guess I'm a bit hooked now.

2) Moving files is easy with the rc3. It functions as a removable drive for data management.

You have to be careful not to corrupt the data structure of it and play by the rules of file naming if sending from your computer to the RC-3.

Also, to make things a little easier get a couple of Boss FS-5U foot switches to use with it. Makes stopping the loop and changes patches much easier. Don't forget to include a TRS Y cable to connect it.