Anyone looking for a Tele style project?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I've watched a ton of those videos. For me, the hard part would be to get enough clear over the dip that I can polish it up to look as good as the one in the photo I stole from FB.
Are you good at wet-sanding?
For my project I am going to apply about 8 coats of this stuff and let it fully cure (at least a full week).
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-Plastics-4333062164-Spraymax/dp/B0043B7UQY
It is a two-part clear coat with a container of hardener within the can that you activate just before using. It sprays just as well as a decent spray gun and goes on smooth with very little if any orange peel. Additional coats can be applied every 15-20 minutes. It cures pretty hard and tough, and polishes out very well.
I will put the guitar body up on 2" wood blocks, laying flat on my workbench table (to prevent any runs) and apply all 8 coats to the top, and every other coat do the sides as well (carfully so no runs). Let that dry for 48 hours. Turn the body over and do the same to the back. Then hang it up and let it fully cure for a week or 10 days.

Wet-sanding: I start with 600 grit wet/dry paper wrapped around a regular rubber eraser for a sanding block. Soak the sandpaper well first, and keep dipping the wrapped eraser in water. Work in a circular fashion over a small area at a time. Check your progress often. When wiped dry, the high spots will be dull and the low spots still glossy. Keep at it until there are no glossy spots. When you have done the entire guitar with the 600 grit, change to 800 grit ... and new water in your bowl. The successive grits won't take nearly as long as the 600 grit, just do a small area at a time until you see the wet on the guitar turn a little milky. Actually a pretty light pass will do it. Then change to 1000 grit, and new water, and repeat. Do this until you have worked clear through 2000 grit. You will end up with a finish smooth as glass and actually a little glossy already. Then polish it out with fine polishing compound and an orbital polisher ... I got a small palm-sized one, that's all you need. I have done several cutting boards like this for practice, and they look like they came from PRS.

Last edited:

deejaid

Blues Junior
Ok, here is a pic of the body with the pickups and all the included hardware I will include.

Rosser Telebird body

2-Rio Grande Tallboy Humbuckers

1- Rio Grande Muy Grande Humbucker

Aged tele control plate

500k CTS pot

500k Push-push pot

5-way switch

Switchcraft jack

Aluminum jack cup

Gotoh style tuning machines

Black pickup rings

Gold speed knobs

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Man. I'm so tempted. Then I remind myself that a portion of the gear I just dropped off for store credit is because I don't have time for any more major build projects in the foreseeable future.

I still covet. :Beer:

deejaid

Blues Junior
Go for it! Someone is gonna get a great deal here. I’m giving all my BGU brothers a cheap price as I’ve enjoyed sharing my builds here and I’m sure others could do a great job as well with this body and parts.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Well, I just successfully roped my Luthier/Guitar Tech/Guitar&Bass Instructor buddy into being interested in this project. He's got a full luthier's shop in his basement, including CNC gear, and he's a veteran of many a custom build or major remodel for paying clients. I intend to learn a lot from him, especially doing a quality finish. :Beer:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Well, I just successfully roped my Luthier/Guitar Tech/Guitar&Bass Instructor buddy into being interested in this project. He's got a full luthier's shop in his basement, including CNC gear, and he's a veteran of many a custom build or major remodel for paying clients. I intend to learn a lot from him, especially doing a quality finish. :Beer:

I need to find me a friend like that! :D Thanks for saving me from buying it.