Finally Went to a Blues Jam

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
Frank, you sounded awesome!. Was your amplifier sitting on the floor? If so, even with the amp tipped back, you'll have a tough time hearing yourself over the other instruments. Especially in that room with the low ceiling and relatively small sq ft. Try an amp stand, it makes a huge difference without turning up the volume. The venue where I like to go for my blues jam has similar accoustics. Low ceiling, small sq ft. If you turn up your volume, the audience tends to get a treble- ie sounding tone, that can come across as harsh. Try the amp stand before trying the volume increase. But great job, thanks for posting. Let me know if that helps.
Kathleen
Thanks, Kathleen! I only bring my guitar. I was plugged into one of the house band guitar player's amp. So I can't move it or put it on a stand. And the long short story is that I've had issues before with his amp being too loud (especially when I played my LP). He's really good so when he turns it up it's like Griff turning it up. It just sounds good. So I try to set my sound such that I blend with the group as opposed to being louder than the rest. However, he does have a pedal for boost but I didn't think to use it since I was "trying" to control my sound with my volume control. I'm still learning how to blend my sound for rhythm and then boost for solos. I'll get there but, still, it's just way too much fun regardless of the inexperience I have with controlling my sound. Sidebar, last Thursday the singer (and harp player) wanted to do Born In Chicago. The other guitar player didn't know it and the bass player looked like a dear in headlights so I was able to start the band with the rhythm. That was another first. I surprised myself.

artyman

Fareham UK
I used to run my strat with the volume control on 7 adjust the amp for Rhythm then wack the volume to 10 for soloing. I now find it easier to use my Boss BD1 pedal with the appropriate level set so as to give a boost in volume.

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
Thanks, Kathleen! I only bring my guitar. I was plugged into one of the house band guitar player's amp. So I can't move it or put it on a stand. And the long short story is that I've had issues before with his amp being too loud (especially when I played my LP). He's really good so when he turns it up it's like Griff turning it up. It just sounds good. So I try to set my sound such that I blend with the group as opposed to being louder than the rest. However, he does have a pedal for boost but I didn't think to use it since I was "trying" to control my sound with my volume control. I'm still learning how to blend my sound for rhythm and then boost for solos. I'll get there but, still, it's just way too much fun regardless of the inexperience I have with controlling my sound. Sidebar, last Thursday the singer (and harp player) wanted to do Born In Chicago. The other guitar player didn't know it and the bass player looked like a dear in headlights so I was able to start the band with the rhythm. That was another first. I surprised myself.

I too struggle with using the volume/ tone controls on my LP on the fly, it's a tough reach compared to a Strat. The pedals give you (us) a quick change or boost when needed, without a lot of effort or mental distraction. One of the musicians at my blues jam has been showing me how to change volume and tone without a pedal board. (It's all in the finger tips) It's great practice and a technique to be mastered, but for now, myself, I'll continue to use a pedal. I'm still working on right notes, right rhythm, etc.
Glad you had a good opportunity to "drive the bus" on Born in Chicago. Those moments can be just as rewarding as nailing a good solo. Both skills will take you up a few notches in the ensemble skills department. So stoked to follow your progress. I'm really looking forward to seeing you perform in person. Until then, keep the video's coming and keep up the outstanding work Frank. Well done my friend.
KSL

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
I too struggle with using the volume/ tone controls on my LP on the fly, it's a tough reach compared to a Strat. The pedals give you (us) a quick change or boost when needed, without a lot of effort or mental distraction. One of the musicians at my blues jam has been showing me how to change volume and tone without a pedal board. (It's all in the finger tips) It's great practice and a technique to be mastered, but for now, myself, I'll continue to use a pedal. I'm still working on right notes, right rhythm, etc.
Glad you had a good opportunity to "drive the bus" on Born in Chicago. Those moments can be just as rewarding as nailing a good solo. Both skills will take you up a few notches in the ensemble skills department. So stoked to follow your progress. I'm really looking forward to seeing you perform in person. Until then, keep the video's coming and keep up the outstanding work Frank. Well done my friend.
KSL
Thanks for your sage advice, Kathleen. You continue to inspire me! As requested here is a short clip of me last night at the jam. We were following the other guitar player who was driving the tune as he said he wanted to sing. However, I'm not sure he knew what key we were in as I had to tell the rest of the band what key it actually was. It was the key of G and we all were waiting for the progression to change to the 4 but he never changed so we ended up doing a 1 chord slow blues in G for about 5 minutes. Every week it's something different to contend with. A great learning experience. What a blast. Also I'm more in control of my sound now that I have experience at this jam. I plug into the amp that has pedals so I can kick them in when I'm ready to get loud.

https://youtu.be/2Lj8kNwkik4

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Are they millenials that think history started about when they were born?

"deer" in headlights. Just sayin