How to customize length of a slide....

jnejedlo

Blues Newbie
I notice the people who play slide guitar actually have shortened the slide. I will be playing the slide on my pinky and I noticed that Griff as well as any others including Clapton who use their pinky have shorten the length of the slide ( tip of pinky sticks out some at the end) they use. How do you decide how long to make the slide for your pinky? A general rule is all I’m looking for. Thanks and to care, Jay

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I think that falls into the what works for you category and what you want to be able to do with the slide when using it. I have slides from as short as one knuckle to full length and have seen some that have only a ring at the bottom and then less than half the body you spin out of the way to pick or play chords

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yeah, I probably have about 15 slides that I've tried over the years. It can be a costly process but you gotta just try them out till you figure out which works best for you.
If there are any guitar shops or particularly large guitar shows in your area you can probably play with loads of them in one spot for free,

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Also if you're just starting out with this you should try slides on your other fingers, ring and middle, to see if one of those work better for you.

There's no real rules for length, but I prefer a longer slide for open tuning, when more likely to want to strum all six strings, and a shorter slide for standard tuning when single string lead playing is more common.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
As above. I just purchased brass, porcelain, glass, and steel and played them with different guitars
and with different fingers. I settled on Dunlop 218 heavy walled glass.
I wanted a short one like EC initially; but, I found that I have gotten used to any length.
My pinkie does stick out a bit with the 218. I currently use it both with standard and open tuning.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I slide off my middle finger (like Rev Gibbons and Bonnie Raitt) and have a collection of slides of various materials and lengths. Full length (+2.5") is just too long to maneuver. 2" are doable and I have couple of custom slides about 1.75". I hasten to add that I don't need to cover all 6 strings, usually 4 at the most and that is workable with the slides I use.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Guy at the open mic last week had a slide on his little finger that only reached to the first joint. I think it was brass.He had cut it down from a commercially availble (Dunlop?) He could still finger regular chords but also play slide on the first or second strings.

patb

Blues Junior
I slide off my middle finger (like Rev Gibbons and Bonnie Raitt) and have a collection of slides of various materials and lengths. Full length (+2.5") is just too long to maneuver. 2" are doable and I have couple of custom slides about 1.75". I hasten to add that I don't need to cover all 6 strings, usually 4 at the most and that is workable with the slides I use.
Unless your guitar neck is dead flat you need to move the slide with the neck radius to touch strings 3, 4 etc anyway. I think the more strings the slide contacts the more noise. I play Gibson 12" radius and find I have to follow the radius. I guess if the action is high enough it is not an issue.
Pat