Electric Guitars Tremolo blocking

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
For those of you who have (successfully(y)) blocked a tremolo on one of your guitars, what advice would to give in regards to the best process to follow for me to use on my strat? I have done some googling (is that even a word?) on the subject and found a handful of different approaches. Some use a block of wood. Some add springs and tighten the screws. There is the $2.70 method where you put 5 half dollars where the block of wood would go and 2 dimes in the front side. I’m sure there are other options and combinations to use also. Everyone seems to say that this is a fairly simple process and it does seem to be, but unlike a lot of you guys and gals here, I do not get enjoyment from tinkering with my equipment...I mean my guitars:rolleyes:. I have read a few other posts here that ended up being a discussion of whether or not it was even acceptable to the guitar gods for one to block the tremolo on a strat. I am not here to start that discussion. I never use the whammy bar and get quite annoyed when doing a string bend and having other played but not bent strings go out of tune. Also...are there any other adjustments / setup that will need to be made after the trem is blocked? Thanks in advance.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I just put 4 springs on mine, tightened it down as much as I dared, then sanded a block of wood until it just wedged into place. Put the trem cover over that, too, because I've seen nothing to convince me it helps leaving it off.

On the adjustments, I didn't do anything but tune up.

HTH.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
While I hesitate to offer advice on the best process for you to use, I'll happily tell you what I've done. There are three springs in my strat (I bought it new and it came that way). I tightened the two wood screws so the tremolo is securely decked (i.e., I can't hear a change in pitch when I lift up on the tremolo bar), and then I removed the tremolo bar. That's it. I've had no issues with bends putting the other strings out of tune, I've found that there are no out-of-tune problems if I break the high E-string, and if I'm sacrificing sustain by not wedging something in there I can't tell (and don't much care, since I am in love with the way this guitar plays and sounds).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
While I hesitate to offer advice on the best process for you to use, I'll happily tell you what I've done. There are three springs in my strat (I bought it new and it came that way). I tightened the two wood screws so the tremolo is securely decked (i.e., I can't hear a change in pitch when I lift up on the tremolo bar), and then I removed the tremolo bar. That's it. I've had no issues with bends putting the other strings out of tune, I've found that there are no out-of-tune problems if I break the high E-string, and if I'm sacrificing sustain by not wedging something in there I can't tell (and don't much care, since I am in love with the way this guitar plays and sounds).

I've done this on my Strats.

aleclee

Tribe of One
They type of trem makes a difference. Cranking down the springs on a Strat will work fine but you'd probably want to use the wood/coin approach on a PRS or other trem designed to float.

Last edited:

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
My Ibanaz has one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allparts-BP-2005-010-BP-2005-010-Tremol-No-Chrome/dp/B004MNEKWK which allows somw movement if you want but can be set to be fixed. My Strat kit guitar I built has a block of wood screw the springs up tight to deckit and then fit the block behind to stop it lifting. My Fender American is floating. However I don't play any of them much as I prefer fixed bridge humbucker guitars.

Cheers

Al.

Ted_Zeppelin

Thank you for all of your insight. This looks to be a pretty simple fix, well within my limited abilities. But...after serious consideration, I am going to follow RR’s advice and just sell my strat & PRS guitars and then buy a LP and tele (y). Seems like a much easier solution:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thank you for all of your insight. This looks to be a pretty simple fix, well within my limited abilities. But...after serious consideration, I am going to follow RR’s advice and just sell my strat & PRS guitars and then buy a LP and tele (y). Seems like a much easier solution:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::D:eek:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
If you are happy with those guitars, I would keep them. Attitudes towards music, equipment, artists, tend to change over time. Though you don't see it now, the day may come where you decide you want to use a wang bar. At the very least, keep those guitars while you buy a replacement hard tail, and wait to see if that becomes your main axe

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

If you are happy with those guitars, I would keep them. Attitudes towards music, equipment, artists, tend to change over time. Though you don't see it now, the day may come where you decide you want to use a wang bar. At the very least, keep those guitars while you buy a replacement hard tail, and wait to see if that becomes your main axe

I’m keeping my guitars:Beer:. I just thought I would have a little fun with RR’s sage advice...

gpower

Blues Junior
When you read some of the different articles, the idea of blocking vs decking the trem, by cranking the springs tight, is that blocking is supposed to transfer more vibration and increases sustain. I have my Strat trems decked, with no blocking, and they seem great to me.

Ted_Zeppelin

All done. I just added two springs to the strat and that trem ain’t budging a bit. I didn’t have to tighten the spring screws at all, which surprised me. This will be an easy undo if I ever decide to unleash the whammy bar but so far, I am very pleased with the results. It may just be a mental thing but I swear the playability has increased a little by decking the trem. It seems to have a little tighter (in a good way) feel while playing. I ended up blocking the trem (front and back) on my PRS and it is setting rock solid now.

Sorry RR...I know that I have broken your rules of tremolo, but I am happy with the results and that’s all that matters to me.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Hey Doug- good to hear from you again. Are you back home doing the ski patrol thing?