Hi everyone, I'm Steve from Wisconsin

StevePlout

Blues Newbie
57 y/o beginner, started course about 2 weeks ago, i've had a guitar about 3 years ,try to start get ,frustrated put it away a feww times. I know i just gotta stay with it and give myself a chance. Thought things were going ok but, i just cant seem to play along with the first song, sitting easy blues, i think im ready but when i try to play along i just fall apart and feel kinda stupid. i play 5-6 days a week for an hour or more, but still seem stuck, is this normal?

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
but when i try to play along i just fall apart and feel kinda stupid. i play 5-6 days a week for an hour or more, but still seem stuck, is this normal?
Pretty much......, then all of a sudden it starts coming together and you wonder what all the fuss was about.:)

Todays e-mail from Griff may help you. An hour or more at a time may be a bit much at this stage.

Oh......, welcome to the forum!!:) Whatever else you do, have fun while learning.(y)

StevePlout

Blues Newbie
Pretty much......, then all of a sudden it starts coming together and you wonder what all the fuss was about.:)

Todays e-mail from Griff may help you. An hour or more at a time may be a bit much at this stage.

Oh......, welcome to the forum!!:) Whatever else you do, have fun while learning.(y)
thanks ,good advice, i saw his post

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Welcome!

I'm also 57, and spent many a year flailing about with little to show for it. On the frustration, you might try assessing the bits of playing that come easier to you and that you enjoy, and reward yourself with some quality fun time just noodling around with that. As Davy says, might also break up the tougher stuff into smaller time slots.

Like Griff says: it's called "playing." Put a premium on having some fun! :Beer:

StevePlout

Blues Newbie
Welcome!

I'm also 57, and spent many a year flailing about with little to show for it. On the frustration, you might try assessing the bits of playing that come easier to you and that you enjoy, and reward yourself with some quality fun time just noodling around with that. As Davy says, might also break up the tougher stuff into smaller time slots.

Like Griff says: it's called "playing." Put a premium on having some fun! :Beer:
thanks for the input

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Welcome to the forum Steve! Good to have you with us!! :thumbup:

Progress in the beginning is often slow. Yes what you are experiencing is normal. Just keep chipping away at it. It'll come. In 6 months things you you struggle today will be no problem but you will be working on other things that are challenging....... That's progress!

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey welcome Steve. Griff usually has a slow and somewhat faster version of practice things ... but if you need to go even slower you can take an audio clip and put it through something like audacity ( freeware ) and slow it down ( keeping notes the same ) as much as you want to.

I am a lot better now at tackling things full speed relatively quickly but when I started playing I found it very useful to take things and slow them down as much as I needed to then work on them ... until slowly speeding them up.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the forum Steve, it’s awesome having you with us. From one Steve to another; stick with Griff, count out loud, practice regularly and you will be amazed at how fast your playing advances.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome from the other side of the cheddar curtain.
Stuck?
I think most of us are there at one time or an other even if you've played for years.
Keep going, this is a good place to learn.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
57 y/o beginner, started course about 2 weeks ago, i've had a guitar about 3 years ,try to start get ,frustrated put it away a feww times. I know i just gotta stay with it and give myself a chance. Thought things were going ok but, i just cant seem to play along with the first song, sitting easy blues, i think im ready but when i try to play along i just fall apart and feel kinda stupid. i play 5-6 days a week for an hour or more, but still seem stuck, is this normal?

Welcome to the Forum Steve.
Getting started is the hardest part because you don't yet realize that it's ALL hard, but if you stick with it and follow Griff's course as printed, you WILL get there. Hang in there, you are in for a fun ride.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Welcome, Steve! I agree with all the advice. Try to break it down into small chunks and then just master one chunk at a time even if it's just 1 or 2 bars. Then start to add more to it. Also, taking a day off as a short break can really be helpful when you come back to it.