New Year's Resolutions

davidc252

Blues Newbie
I already broke my resolutions the first day!
So, I decided I don't need any resolutions. I will simply be myself. That way I don't need to change.
:)

TerryH

Blues Newbie
Resolution is probably too specific a term.

For me this year is more about a continuation of what I have been doing already. I will continue to try to improve my speed with BSBB. It is working but it is also revealing quite a lot about my limitations. I have began to revise some of the solos I thought I could play before. BSBB has helped a lot with this.

5 Easy and 5 More Easy were a life-saver last year - restored my confidence.

I have also began at last to dip my toes into improvisation. I’m quite excited about this, but I have a long way to go before I could dream of posting anything on the VJR…a very long way.

What I really aught to do is to work on rhythm playing, but I just don’t enjoy it, and after all I am doing this for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
What I really ought to do is to work on rhythm playing, but I just don’t enjoy it, and after all I am doing this for my own enjoyment.
That's funny, because I'd be happy to be a really competent rhythm player, but most of the online courses emphasize lead playing. When I try to play anything remotely lead-related, I hate it. I sound absolutely mechanical and boring, whereas sometimes I can get into a good groove on my rhythm playing. Sometimes.

TerryWall

Blues Newbie
Re playing and standing: if i'm learning something new, watching Griff's videos, warming up, doing drills, etc., i'm sitting. But if i'm practicing with a jam track, i'm ALWAYS standing. I have to do this, because at the open jam i go to, everyone is standing when they play.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Re playing and standing: if i'm learning something new, watching Griff's videos, warming up, doing drills, etc., i'm sitting. But if i'm practicing with a jam track, i'm ALWAYS standing. I have to do this, because at the open jam i go to, everyone is standing when they play.

That's part of why I want to get myself in shape to do so. I've determined the problem is that when sitting it's easier to cheat and look at the fretboard while playing. The first step towards getting over that is practicing playing without looking.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
That's funny, because I'd be happy to be a really competent rhythm player, but most of the online courses emphasize lead playing. When I try to play anything remotely lead-related, I hate it. I sound absolutely mechanical and boring, whereas sometimes I can get into a good groove on my rhythm playing. Sometimes.

Griff's course "Strumming and Rhythm Mastery" as well as "52 Rhythm fills and Variations" are great courses for building competence in playing rhythm.
Many of his other courses also give tips for rhythm playing including his flagship course, "Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0".

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Solid rhythm will help your lead playing

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
My goals for this year (I hesitate to call them resolutions):

1. Walk at least 30 minutes on every day off. I have gained a lot of weight in the past few years while I went back to school and worked on my career change.

2. Play guitar every day, even if only for five minutes. My hope is that by at least making it a goal to put my guitar in my hands, I will then make time to practice seriously some of those days. It's all too easy to come home after a 12 hour shift and just turn on the t.v. or get on the interwebs and waste an hour or two before going to bed.

3. Finish Strumming and Rhythm Mastery, Guitar Theory Made Useful, and continue to work on BGU and ABGU.

4. Learn more songs. Right now, my repertoire of songs that I can play without chord charts in front of me is woefully lacking, especially considering how long I have been playing at the guitar.

5. Finally play on stage at a local open jam.

Best of luck to everyone on here with meeting YOUR goals this year.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
eblues it was humour. Actually brent has the same goals as I except the walking every day. I have been making time to play some every day. Very difficult as many things happening in our life so hard to concentrate for any length of time. Wife was let go of er dream job in November, had to put one of ur dogs down last week, health of in-laws is not good. Will have to move when my wife gets a new position. Then down sizing, moving etc. Had to sell some guitars to make ends meet. I now have no Gibson guitars. On the other hand I now that the closing of one door opens another. Moving back to a larger community means more guitar players, jams, etc. Playing even for a few minutes helps me stay grounded.Plus, I have a different (better for me) mental approach as well as finally getting a direction and goal setting all revolving around not putting any pressure on me.

brent

eblues it was humour. Actually brent has the same goals as I except the walking every day. I have been making time to play some every day. Very difficult as many things happening in our life so hard to concentrate for any length of time. Wife was let go of er dream job in November, had to put one of ur dogs down last week, health of in-laws is not good. Will have to move when my wife gets a new position. Then down sizing, moving etc. Had to sell some guitars to make ends meet. I now have no Gibson guitars. On the other hand I now that the closing of one door opens another. Moving back to a larger community means more guitar players, jams, etc. Playing even for a few minutes helps me stay grounded.Plus, I have a different (better for me) mental approach as well as finally getting a direction and goal setting all revolving around not putting any pressure on me.

I'm sorry to hear about your woes. I hope you find your new community welcoming and you get back on your feet quickly.

brent

Yes, sometimes it's easy to live in a bubble and forget that no one is immune to troubles, travesty, and life changes. We all got the blues at some time. It's the nature of being human. So are joy, happiness, and other "good" emotions. The hard times help us appreciate the good all the more.