Finally Went to a Blues Jam

FrankL

Mr. Bites Off More Than I Can Chew
Thanks, folks! Have to say it's a blast. I went again last night. We were first up. We asked one of the guys (a rockin' bass player) to sing for us and we played Pride and Joy, Little Wing and Red House. Unfortunately there is no video evidence of last night. It seems, at least so far, that every time I do this something happens. Forgot lyrics, got lost in chord progression and stopped playing for a bit and last night my Gibby LP with the autotune decided to detune itself in the middle of Little Wing. Yet with all that, last week and last night have me hooked. Kinda the fruits of my labor. Looks like I'll be regular now!

FrankL

Nice Frank!
If you make it a regular thing let me know and I'll try to join you some day, although the Thursdays aren't the best for likes of me that are not even close to be retired...
Hey Chris, if you can break away for a Thursday night you are more than welcome to come. If you are interested PM me and I'll give you directions. However, it's Fort Collins. It would be cool if you could make it.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Thanks, folks! Have to say it's a blast. I went again last night. We were first up. We asked one of the guys (a rockin' bass player) to sing for us and we played Pride and Joy, Little Wing and Red House. Unfortunately there is no video evidence of last night. It seems, at least so far, that every time I do this something happens. Forgot lyrics, got lost in chord progression and stopped playing for a bit and last night my Gibby LP with the autotune decided to detune itself in the middle of Little Wing. Yet with all that, last week and last night have me hooked. Kinda the fruits of my labor. Looks like I'll be regular now!
I have that auto tuner on my SG, I'm leaning towards changing to locking Grovers

FrankL

Griff suggested on the webinar yesterday that we BGU'ers who have video of going to blues jams post some stuff on the BGU Facebook page. So I put this one up. This was the Thursday before last. And I had an unexpected surprise while I was playing. Pay attention to the beginning of the video and see what happens to me and my guitar (hey isn't that a tune Griff does?). All I could do was laugh. :LOL::LOL:

However, no one was going to wait for me.... :cool:
https://youtu.be/PeGqMbsJ9aY

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Griff suggested on the webinar yesterday that we BGU'ers who have video of going to blues jams post some stuff on the BGU Facebook page. So I put this one up. This was the Thursday before last. And I had an unexpected surprise while I was playing. Pay attention to the beginning of the video and see what happens to me and my guitar (hey isn't that a tune Griff does?). All I could do was laugh. :LOL::LOL:

However, no was going to wait for me.... :cool:
https://youtu.be/PeGqMbsJ9aY
Hey!! Last time I saw a video of SRV breaking the guitar tech was right out there with another guitar so he could finish the song!! I'd fire your tech Frank!! Great playing with only 5 strings! :Beer:

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
WTG Frank, and with a courageous set list as well. Very impressive. It's nice to progress past just playing the song in public without going to pieces, now they'll throw new curves at you (like gear issues). Sounds like you handled it like a pro. I'm not surprised, I have the utmost confidence in you. Keep up the good work, and keep going to the jam.
Hope to see you at NE BGU VI, October 3-5, 2019.
GibsonGirl

FrankL

WTG Frank, and with a courageous set list as well. Very impressive. It's nice to progress past just playing the song in public without going to pieces, now they'll throw new curves at you (like gear issues). Sounds like you handled it like a pro. I'm not surprised, I have the utmost confidence in you. Keep up the good work, and keep going to the jam.
Hope to see you at NE BGU VI, October 3-5, 2019.
GibsonGirl
Thanks, Kathleen! So far I've been to a total of 5 jams. 4 at this place. I've had things happen at each one so far. Last Thursday, my friend wanted me to jump up and take the last song of his set and just handed me his guitar. Apparently this guitar has an issue where the hi E sometimes get stuck under the neck (it's a Strat with a single coil) pick up. I couldn't have known until I went to the hi E while trying to solo and badda bing no sound from the hi E. So it was just like the week before when mine broke. I'm rapidly learning that if you don't expect the unexpected then you aren't living in the moment. Remember I told you who my inspiration was... But through it all, I have to say that doing this is more fun that you should be allowed to have with clothes on.

As for NE BGU VI, if I'm still breathing, you can count on me being at my 3rd NE BGU event without question. Put me on the I'm coming, come hell or high water, list.

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
Excellent Frank. Like I said, I have every confidence in you. Having had the privilege of playing with you at prior BGU events, I know you can handle whatever comes your way. So good to know you're in for BGU NE VI in October. Keep up the good work.. Be sure to post a video when you can.
KSL

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Gibsongirl

Gibsongirl
Frank, you sounded awesome!. Was your amplifier sitting on the floor? If so, even with the amp tipped back, you'll have a tough time hearing yourself over the other instruments. Especially in that room with the low ceiling and relatively small sq ft. Try an amp stand, it makes a huge difference without turning up the volume. The venue where I like to go for my blues jam has similar accoustics. Low ceiling, small sq ft. If you turn up your volume, the audience tends to get a treble- ie sounding tone, that can come across as harsh. Try the amp stand before trying the volume increase. But great job, thanks for posting. Let me know if that helps.
Kathleen