My Review of CRGU: Wasn't for Me

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I don't have them yet but I got an email Thursday evening saying that they have shipped. Tracking says I will receive them Saturday:)

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Just a thought on actual tunes being tought,,,,if Griffs making money from what he teaches therein lies the problem with royalties,,other folks who teach lessons online for free state not for comercial gain or some suchlike ?, ie Justin

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Wow, I haven't been on the forum in a few days, then I see this massive thread. Steely Glen pretty much mirrored my thoughts exactly about CRGU, with his very elegant message. There's no way I can put it into better words, so I won't try. I wrote my initial impressions thread after I purchased it and had spent some time reviewing the content in the book, that basically said my biggest concern about the course was the short solos, and lack of complete rhythm pieces.

BGU had some lovely rhythm pieces, lessons 11-14 if I remember correctly. The slow bluesy church type rhythm piece is almost a song in itself. The Thrill is Gone rhythm and solo together is almost a complete song. That's what I love so much about BGU, the extended pieces that we all learned and love.

CRGU has a TON of content, and the booklet and videos are top notch. There are no problems there. I also just feel that I need more along the lines of BGIAB, where we're learning complete songs. Or, even larger pieces like we got in BGU.

Unfortunately, I think I will ask for a refund as well. I have purchased almost every course that Griff has put out, and I will continue to do so. This is the first time I have even thought about asking for a refund. The content in CRGU is good, but I was hoping for more music, instead of just a bunch of small riffs that I have to piece together into songs. I don't have the skills to do that yet.

Anyway, just my two cents added to this thread.

-=Jeff

DanaCochrane

Blues Newbie
Really interesting to read all of this. I've purchased this course and I will be looking to complete it. My observation is that I agree with many of the points raised particularly in relation to Griff's teaching methods.

I am not a member of a band or attend any music nights with a view to perform but I really want to play the guitar. I do not consider myself an advanced player by any stretch of the imagination but, thanks in no small part to Griff, I can play some blues rhythms and a few solos. I also play some classic rock and can play along with a few songs and backing tracks.

Apologies for the length of this post,just trying to give some context.

As a further development of this course I would like to see some complete songs, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, not necessarily the classic rock songs mentioned but a complete song or songs so that I can put together all that I have learned.I have previously purchased Griff's Texas Hideout and for me this was a great and meaningful method of bringing together my learning.

I agree with you totally, especially your point about Texas Hideout. I wasn't progressing very well, and thought I would never get to the point where I could play a piece like this, but Texas Hideout changed everything! Suddenly it all started coming together, and while I have only learned the first half so far (and at only 60 bpm), and have had to take a break to clear my mind and learn other compositions, I will continue working on it until I master the whole thing, at full speed.