Sunshine of your love course is excellent

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK sorry newb here on the forum so well everyone knows griff is awesome already.

I have been working on my playing 18 months now ( and have a teacher and pretty organized in my practicing etc ). Bought the BGU 2 course 8 weeks back maybe and working on it.

I bought like friday the sunshine of your love course and was planning on tackling it "later" much later like summer ish. But I started listening to the course.

Clapton of course is on fire on that song and I remember it well when it first came out. Never in my life did I imagine that it I would be able to attempt playing along with it. But well the riff ain't so complicated and griff does such a great job. You do need to be able to switch chords fairly quickly on the V chord part. ( I need a lot more practice on it since I just started on it today ... but I was able to play slow hands tune and keep up at speed right away ).

But shoot for anyone in doubt if they want that course if you like the song ... its golden like the sun!

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Not a big fan of that song so it's not on my list but I'm sure Griff has done the song period. Maybe later when I'm done with all my other courses

chemeagle

Blues Newbie
Certainly an iconic song. Not a song I care to learn. Crossroads is a better solo.

My bad. Paleo is right. Welcome and have fun - Clapton rules!

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
On a more positive note......

Hey John. Welcome to the forum.

I think most of the people who spent the month of November working on this song with Griff in the BGU Lab would agree that they had a blast learning this song. Especially Griff.

If any questions come up, feel free to fire away. There'll be plenty of members willing to help out.

And maybe join up when Griff announces the next BGU Lab challenge. We all get to work together.

I hope you continue to enjoy the course.:)

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I think most of the people who spent the month of November working on this song with Griff in the BGU Lab would agree that they had a blast learning this song. Especially Griff.

If any questions come up, feel free to fire away. There'll be plenty of members willing to help out.

Thanks man yeah no questions on the song specifically so far Griff is pretty clear. The soloing part isn't my priority at this point ( later maybe ) but the main riff and the chords for the V part he has it well covered with obviously help from all the attendees volleying in questions and participating.

But I can think of two related questions:

If you do have questions on the challenge specifically where on the forum are those questions best asked/answered?

Is there a list searchable etc of the previous challenges and related courses that I can look at?

Cheers John

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 4

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you do have questions on the challenge specifically where on the forum are those questions best asked/answered?
There's a section on the forum closer to the bottom called "Smaller Courses".

Near the bottom of that section there's a subsection titled "Everything else....".

Is there a list searchable etc of the previous challenges and related courses that I can look at?
When you join a challenge you will have access to a new area specifically for BGU Labs.

However, I don't think there's any way to get access to info regarding previous challenges.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
There's a section on the forum closer to the bottom called "Smaller Courses".

Near the bottom of that section there's a subsection titled "Everything else....".

When you join a challenge you will have access to a new area specifically for BGU Labs.

However, I don't think there's any way to get access to info regarding previous challenges.

I already have just about everything so it's hard to know for sure but maybe an "All Access Pass" would get him to the past challenges?
Maybe @Griff can answer that one?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
In general, challenges and the "BGULabs" area have always been very separate. This is the first time I've made a course out of a challenge.

Currently I don't have any way to purchase previous challenges as I fear that out of the live context they might not make as much sense.

But, it seems like quite a few people are enjoying the Sunshine Of Your Love one, so maybe more will be migrated over time.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
In general, challenges and the "BGULabs" area have always been very separate. This is the first time I've made a course out of a challenge.

Currently I don't have any way to purchase previous challenges as I fear that out of the live context they might not make as much sense.

But, it seems like quite a few people are enjoying the Sunshine Of Your Love one, so maybe more will be migrated over time.

OK thanks yeah that makes sense I am new here and did not understand that this is the first published course out of a challenge you made it easy to follow and jump in and get it done! Thanks a ton I still am going to take some time eventually trying the soloing over part but all the other chunks fantastic job breaking it into pieces for us to handle!

I grew up listening to SSOYL and I it sounds "fast" until you get some proficiency and experience and then well the riff really is straightforward and not so fast.

So well more Clapton eventually? I am sure everyone wants crossroads but well that's somewhat faster right?

Key to the Highway? That's slower paced right ( but I dunno maybe that ones not twelve bar based ). Statesboro blues?

*** Apologies for the shameless plugging of songs I want to figure out ha ha!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
OK thanks yeah that makes sense I am new here and did not understand that this is the first published course out of a challenge you made it easy to follow and jump in and get it done! Thanks a ton I still am going to take some time eventually trying the soloing over part but all the other chunks fantastic job breaking it into pieces for us to handle!

I grew up listening to SSOYL and I it sounds "fast" until you get some proficiency and experience and then well the riff really is straightforward and not so fast.

So well more Clapton eventually? I am sure everyone wants crossroads but well that's somewhat faster right?

Key to the Highway? That's slower paced right ( but I dunno maybe that ones not twelve bar based ). Statesboro blues?

*** Apologies for the shameless plugging of songs I want to figure out ha ha!
Suggestions are always encouraged!

As I always say, I'm not here for me... keep 'em coming.

Bob630

Blues Newbe

That’s a great ide, hope you do that.

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
"So well more Clapton eventually? I am sure everyone wants crossroads but well that's somewhat faster right?"

There are some incredible earlier songs that come to mind and they may not be the most popular such as Outside Woman Blues,
Those were the Days, Sitting on Top of the World and many others......

And mentioning a song off Goodbye Cream, I keep thinking about one song with almost incomprehensible lyrics stands out above the rest. Would anyone else be interested in the song, Badge?