Let me share the lesson I've learned

burlew

Blues Junior
To all my brothers (and sisters who look after my brothers)

I start by assuming that when it comes to men looking after their own health, we are all created equal, meaning we don't do a very good job.

As I contemplated leaving my 50's for my 60"s . . . .

( the 50's is a very dangerous decade. It's when gravity cuts in. Things start falling out and falling off)

I digress. . .

A recent blood test showed a bump in my PSA. A possible pointer to prostate cancer. You'll be pleased to know I'm the proud father of an 80 gram prostate that is, thankfully benign.

But during the biopsy to determine this, my anesthetist tells me I have a heart murmur.

As it turns out, next Tuesday morning, my surgeon has to crack open my chest and repair a severely prolapsed mitral valve.

4 hour procedure, 2 days in ICU, 7 days in the ward, 6 weeks no driving or lifting.

My message to y'all is (if you haven't already) to commence a comprehensive program to check the obvious health issues that affect our general vintage.

I have been singularly blessed to meet many of you through BGU Live and I intend to keep doing so.

Boys, take the lesson and get stuff done.

I'll reach out early next week and let you know the latest.

p.s. to those of you to whom i still owe money. . .I'm still good for it !!

db

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I'll be thinking of you, brother, and looking forward to hearing all's well next week. We'll have to raise one at the next BGU live in contemplation of turning 60 next summer.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So very happy they caught that in time. I come from a family history of heart disease: my dad is now 77 and is the first male of his line to live past 50. At 57 I am the second. My doc has me on a 6-month checkup cycle to help make sure I set a new record. :confused:

I completely endorse getting regular checkups and letting the medical wonks do what they do to help keep us drinking. :Beer:

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Yes, people get those regular checkups. They have kept me alive. At age 42, I had lost 30 pounds in 20 days, my skin color was gray and worst of all I napped out on nice, sunny days instead of riding my motorcycle. So, went in and discovered I was diabetic. 26 years later, I 'm an insulin dependent diabetic with retinopathy. So, it's a visit to the ophthalmologist every six months. During my regular GP visit the doc found I had a regular, irregular heartbeat aka afib. So, now it's blood thinners to help me from stroking out. I'm doing great because I listen to my body and get regular checkups.

Take care David. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for the reminder David. My prayers for a successful procedure and recovery are with you!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well,
Glad they got all fixed up.

You're absolutely right on encouraging all us boys to wake up.

Hope your recovery continues without a hitch.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member

p.s. to those of you to whom i still owe money. . .I'm still good for it !!

db

Actually, it's more likely that we owe you money and I want to see you at the next BGU Live to collect it! Sue and I will have you in our thoughts next week, my friend. :thumbup:

Did it have to be done on a Tuuuuesday? :LOL:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I make jokes about a number of topics. One is life. I tell people to have a long and healthy life, choose parents who lived long and healthy lives! ;)

We can attempt to do a few things to help ourselves, such as but not limited to proper diet, exercise, and do not abuse ourselves.

Women live longer than men. Why? I think because they go to the doctor when they have a problem.

October 2002 I was at work, when I had an extreme episode (the first of two) of atrial fibrillation (afib). I recovered well enough to drive home. My wife made me go to the doctor! I should have gone to the hospital, the doctor told me. They put me on rat poison (Warfarin) to thin my blood, and amiodarone. The side effects were not nice!

There were 11 kids on my block where I grew up in San Francisco, eight boys and 3 girls. I had not seen or heard from any of them since the end of 1959. One day on the Internet, I hooked up with one of the guys, who now lives near Chicago.

On December 9th of 2009 we got together at the Irish Club in San Francisco, and talked about our lives, and even took a few pictures. It turned out that my friend, whose name is John, also has afib. I asked him if he had contact information for any of the other kids we grew up with, and he had one name. When he got home a few days later he eMailed me Terry's phone number. As it turns out, Terry lives a few miles from me in San Jose.

The minute I had Terry's phone number, I telephoned him. It was 5:30 PM. What a great conversation! Terry said he had afib, as well as our friend PD (Philip David). PD was living in Connecticut, and was going to have an ablation, to attempt resolve the afib the next morning. I got PD's phone number from Terry,and called him. It was nearly 9 PM in Connecticut.

PD and I had a nice conversation, and he described the ablation process. Three days later I talked to PD, and all was well! No more afib for PD. PD talked me into having an ablation, and Terry knew an outstanding doctor for the process. I had my ablation October 5, 2010, and no more medications or afib! :)

Five of the eight guys I grew up with have or had afib. We lived on the same block.

So all you guys and dolls out there, take care of yourselves. We want you to be around to enjoy your life, family, friends, and this forum! :love::)

Tom

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Best of luck David. Prayers for you, Shorty and rest of your family. Have a quick and unremarkable
recovery.
FWIW...the PSA is slowly being phased out(at least in USA) due to false positives.

Last edited:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Best of luck David. Prayers for you, Shorty and rest of your family. Have a quick and unremarkable
recovery.
FWIW...the PSA is slowly being phased out(at least in USA) due to false positives.
I have always thought it would be really interesting to know which of the currently mainstream and accepted medical practices of today will fall into the "WTF were those idiots thinking" category 20, 50, or 100 years from now.
For a glimpse into the future, one only has to look at the past. Like this article:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15669_the-10-most-insane-medical-practices-in-history.html

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I'm happy you and your doctors are on top of things and most of all, happy for your positive attitude. I'll keep the positive thoughts going from here, and get a checkup.
Thanks and best wishes,
-ed

Last edited:

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Good for you to catch this early David. In Canada with free health care many men still don't see a doctor.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
My thoughts and prayers will be with you brother, take a little time and heal up proper, you don't want any setbacks!