Checking in from Alaska

Yohannah

Blues Newbie
Friday morning a large earthquake rocked Anchorage and surrounding areas. My guitar family was standing on Hercules stands on the floor and above them were hanging racks of Native American flutes.

I’ve read that seismic monitors picked the ‘quake up the world over. You may have heard about us and the damage.

When it was finally over, I faced a large overturned dresser, much broken glass, an upright vacuum no longer upright, books, vinyl records and art overturned and a bunch of things scattered all over in my house.

I made my way downstairs to take the dogs out, expecting the worst, and I found guitars and flutes looking as if nothing had happened while chaos reigned all around them. I can’t quite process it – my instruments are unharmed; me, my family and my friends are also unhurt, many of us still have power, we all have water, although we’re under a boil advisory. Sadly, many are without power and a few homes have been lost. We’re all as shaky as can be and ready for it to all end.

So, last night, the guitars came down off of their stands and retired to their hard-shell cases and the flutes are down off of their stands until it all stops. We’ve had hundreds of “aftershocks” (big ones, ones that I would previously have just called “earthquakes”), the latest one just half an hour ago, and now we’re facing a terrible wind, rain and snow event, but in spite of it all, I’m so grateful to God for all that has been spared and how well my friends and family are doing in the midst of craziness.

I’m sitting here watching SRV on AxsTV trying to process it all.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Friday morning a large earthquake rocked Anchorage and surrounding areas. My guitar family was standing on Hercules stands on the floor and above them were hanging racks of Native American flutes.

I’ve read that seismic monitors picked the ‘quake up the world over. You may have heard about us and the damage.

When it was finally over, I faced a large overturned dresser, much broken glass, an upright vacuum no longer upright, books, vinyl records and art overturned and a bunch of things scattered all over in my house.

I made my way downstairs to take the dogs out, expecting the worst, and I found guitars and flutes looking as if nothing had happened while chaos reigned all around them. I can’t quite process it – my instruments are unharmed; me, my family and my friends are also unhurt, many of us still have power, we all have water, although we’re under a boil advisory. Sadly, many are without power and a few homes have been lost. We’re all as shaky as can be and ready for it to all end.

So, last night, the guitars came down off of their stands and retired to their hard-shell cases and the flutes are down off of their stands until it all stops. We’ve had hundreds of “aftershocks” (big ones, ones that I would previously have just called “earthquakes”), the latest one just half an hour ago, and now we’re facing a terrible wind, rain and snow event, but in spite of it all, I’m so grateful to God for all that has been spared and how well my friends and family are doing in the midst of craziness.

I’m sitting here watching SRV on AxsTV trying to process it all.

Some times in the chaos there is a message, we don't always hear!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Glad you're doing OK,

I've got lots of family in the area and they've got similar reports ( no flutes or guitars though).

Thanks for checking in.

Stay safe.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
The most important thing is that you and your family are okay. Take care of yourselves during this disaster. Sending positive energy your way. Remember stuff can always be replaced, but you and your family cannot.

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Glad you are alright. Even your beloved flutes and git fiddles can be replaced; but, people can't be. Grew up near Yellowstone Park so quite familiar with quake damage.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Glad you, your family, and the instruments are all ok. As a SoCal native I can totally emphasize with you. Stay safe!

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hoping that the worst is over for you and all affected by the quake, and that you suffer no more damage. Keep your spirits up and let the rebuilding begin.