SG rebuild

Rockybottom

Senior Bluesman
Hope you enjoy that buddy after all the efforts. Looks nice. SG is one I never got round to adding to the collection as already have two LP's in there, one being a Florentine, so didn't think I would get a significantly different sound.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
It is not neck heavy. In fact the guitar feels very light to me.

It sounds a lot like the Les Paul I have, but the feel is a lot different. It is almost Fendersih? The neck angle is not very Fender, but otherwise it feels pretty nice.

It is not neck heavy. In fact the guitar feels very light to me.

It sounds a lot like the Les Paul I have, but the feel is a lot different. It is almost Fendersih? The neck angle is not very Fender, but otherwise it feels pretty nice.

Interesting. The Epiphone must have lighter and/or thinner wood for the body

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
What's the balance like on the Gibson SG's? I have a Epi SG, It has the nicest action of all my budget guitars, but I find it annoyingly neck heavy, so much so I haven't taken out out the case in a couple years.
I've had two SGs. Neither of them felt neck heavy. One was among the heaviest guitars I ever owned. That would be the one on the left. I still have the one on the right.
Note: I also no longer own the palm tree in the middle.
SGs.jpg

Last edited:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
Didn't Griff mention that his was a little neck heavy in his recent video for the November challenge?

Edit: had to check, for those in the challenge just past the 27 minute mark he was asked how he liked the SG, he replied it was weighted funny, had a heavy headstock and didn't play it live for that reason.

Last edited:

Steve_Sawyer

Blues Newbie
Appearance-wise, I've never been much of an SG fan, but that is really too nice to sell, 'specially if you don't already have one. Beautiful guitar.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
My home build that is based on a SG came up neck heavy. I think it is a mix of the neck sort of sitting further out from the body and the very thin and light body (must be about the lightest guitar I own). If you just sit it on your knee it drops toward the headstock. However always play it with a strap (sitting or standing) and hold your arm over the top bout and I don't notice. May help I am also learning the Bouzouki and that has a similar way of holding.

cheers

Al.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
I own 4 SG's, and none of them are particularly neck heavy. One of them is the lightest guitar I own, and one is the heaviest. The other two fall somewhere in the middle. They are so comfortable that they are my main go to guitars for gigs anymore. Plus, I love SG's!! YMMV.

Nice job, CapnDenny1. I'll have to stop over to check it out! We can have an SG jam! Btw, are those possibly the pickups I gave you for amp work you did for me? I remember not liking the 490s in a LP I have, so I think I gave them to you when I swapped them out? Now I have an SG with 490R and 498T that sound really good in that guitar.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
search
Yes arock, those are the pickups. I couln’t remember what they were.

Some joker has the same guitar on Craigslist for $365 in like new condition with a Gibson gig bag. I paid more than that for the body?

Oh well, it was still fun.

I always wanted an SG ever since I saw the cover of the early Alice Cooper album, and the guitar player was posing with an SG. Back when Alice Cooper was shcking. My mom wouldn’t let me go to their concert when she found out they wore makeup and wmen’s underwear. She suggested I go see a nice girl name Mary Travers, from Peter, Paul, and Mary. Only later to find out that Peter Phllips molested is daughter Mackenzie.

It was the back cover of Love it to Death.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=Sp...33i22i29i30.MvVPVbDaEK4#imgrc=HXfCLEU5Mm-pDM:

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
She suggested I go see a nice girl name Mary Travers, from Peter, Paul, and Mary. Only later to find out that Peter Phllips molested is daughter Mackenzie.

I think you're mixing up Peter Yarrow, who was convicted of "taking 'improper liberties' with a 14-year-old girl who went with her 17-year-old sister to Yarrow's hotel room seeking an autograph," and John Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas, who was alleged to have carried on an incestuous relationship with his daughter Mackenzie.

Still, your point remains, Yarrow was a bit of a dirtbag.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Blast you, Cap'nDenny. I don't have an SG, and now you have my irresponsible GAS manufacturer working overtime. I need yet another guitar about as much as I need another colonoscopy and so far my responsible side has won out. But my insidious GAS devil on my shoulder injected the idea of getting one in a natural finish and doing some of my wood carving to carve a nifty design on the top. I haven't come up with a design I really like yet, but if I ever do, I'll be in trouble.

sloslunas

NM Blues
A few years ago, one of my neighbors brought over his SG for a little jamming. He let me play it and I absolutely fell in love with the neck and playability. Long story short....I bought one. Tried to stand up while playing it, and the neck dive was something I never had experienced. Horrible and very uncomfortable. I gave that guitar away in less than a week. Lesson lurned. YMMV

Steve

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have been offered one on the NHS to check for bowl cancer. If I take them up do I get another guitar?

cheers

Al.
No, you just get an umbrella shoved up your you-know-what by a sadistic grinning doctor. :eek: I suggest that you take your most solid-bodied guitar along to bash the pervert over the head with. :ROFLMAO:

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
One was among the heaviest guitars I ever owned. That would be the one on the left.
SGs.jpg

Have to agree with you on the weight of the Zoot Suit SG. Saw in the store after Gibson released them. That was one of the most questionable looking guitars Gibson has ever made and they have made some ugly guitars. Had to try it. Neck was excellent and it sustained ........ May your SG's give many more years of faithful service.

Another SG owner.

patb

Blues Junior
I got it together. My son did most of the work, but I finished it up. I had to buy 3 tailpieces before I got one that fit,nsort of. One of the studs was too tight. I ended up using a tap to cut the plating off the threads. The chrome didn’t want to get cut, but I wanted to get it going. The ebay seller said he is sticking by it, so he is sending another stud.

So I got it together and got it set up. It plays really nice. The neck is nice and straight, and I got the action pretty low. So now I have to decide if I want to sell it or keep it?

44D06C59-6877-49AB-BDDD-B300B837444B by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr

68C70376-A226-448D-B904-887488C676DF by Dennis Kelley, on Flickr
Very nice, By the pickguard I guess it to be a 2013 or thereabouts. Or did you add the pickguard?